Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF Update

Posted by sak on 4/06/05 at 00:56 (172697)

Hello to all, I have been resting, icing, stretching and PT but my PF still hurts as well as bottom of heel in center(spur area). Tomorrow I have appointment with my podiatrist. The pf got swollen on 6 hour drive over Easter Break. Wish me luck but I don't think it's going to be good news one I get referred over to the orthopedic surgeon. Take care all!

Re: PF Update

Terri on 4/06/05 at 12:48 (172709)

If they find a cure let us know. It could not be worse than mine !! Ugh !!

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/07/05 at 17:19 (172795)

Terri:
Very few cases of PF cannot be cured. Read Scott's Heel Pain Book on this site to get an idea of the treatments avialable.
Ed

sak on 4/07/05 at 20:45 (172810)

I have learned so much from this site, thanks to all involved. My PF is getting better but only with 100% rest. A trip to the store, then walk the dog and I feel it swelling. Will be going to orthopedic surgeon in about ten days or so. I am wondering if I should be more active so they see that it does swell and it really does hurt or will my med. record speak for itself? Don't really know how the Drs. secretary would answer a q like that, so please add your opinions anyone!! Thanks again, Scott

Re: Question to Dr. Z

Terri on 4/08/05 at 17:37 (172852)

What threw my doctor off was when they did an MRI and there was 'no indication of PF'. So they sent me home and told me nothing was wrong with me even though I have all the symptoms of PF. So I guess I have some sort of chronic pain syndome like PF ?? Is there such a thing ??

Re: I meant question to Ed. :)

Terri on 4/08/05 at 17:44 (172853)

Above question was meant for Ed.

Re: Question to Dr. Z

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/12/05 at 18:49 (173089)

Terri:
I would get another opinion on the MRI. The reason is that there is not a good standard on how to use MRI's to diagnose PF. I would tend to reserve an MRI for a patient with symptoms that are not consist with PF, to look for other things. Generally, we are looking at the thicknesss of the plantar fascia with 3.5 mm being normal for a 150 lb. person. Often, we prefer to start with sonograms as they are 1/8 the price of an MRI, can be done in the docs office and provide the relevant information one needs in PF.
Ed