Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stress causing Thyroid problems

Posted by Cyndi on 4/07/05 at 11:54 (172759)

Has anyone here developed Thyroid problems after dealing with foot problems? I have had foot problems for over a year now and was recently told I also am Hyperthyroid. I had been told that thyroid comes from autoimmuine problems and that can be caused by STRESS. It is also called Graves Disease.
Thanks for any answers!

Re: Stress causing Thyroid problems

Susan on 4/07/05 at 13:12 (172766)

My sister had a period of extreme stress, and developed thyroid problems right after that. They thought she might have Graves disease, but it turned out to be something more like inflammation or a virus in the thyroid, I don't remember exactly. And autoimmune problems run in our family. But she doesn't have foot problems.

Ralph on 4/07/05 at 13:55 (172773)

Funny you should mention this. My doctor has been trying his hardest to tell me that I have Graves Disease, but every test he has done says my thyroid is normal. He even sent me to and endocronologist (SP) and that doctor did several tests for thryoid and they are still normal.

I've decided to have them check my parathyroid glands next. Totally different I know but what the heck if they are trying to find a connection they might as well look at all my glands if necessary.

Tina H on 4/07/05 at 16:26 (172784)

Are you sure that you didn't have the thyroid before? Did you have normal thyroid function tests prior to PF?

John H on 4/08/05 at 09:28 (172827)

Anxiety and stress can be the symptoms of thyroid problems.

Lana on 4/08/05 at 11:28 (172837)

John is right. Anxiety is a symptom of hyperthyrodism. Graves' disease is the most common form of hyperthyroidism. When you have too much thyroid hormone in your system, your body's metabolism rate increases and a higher metabolism can lead to anxiety.

I had thyroid cancer 6 years ago. Now my doctor intentionally keeps me in hyperthyroid state (my TSH is supressed to 0.1mU/L). I developed PF over a year ago and I still have it. I had 5 months of physical therapy and I wear Footmaxx orthotics. My heel is not as painful as before, I am glad for that. I don't know if there is a connection between PF and thyroid problems, both problems are very common.

Lori S. on 4/16/05 at 15:31 (173307)

I have had thyroid problems for several years, it is possible you had them before your foot problem. I was told its likely my thyroid had something to due with my PF, your thyroid affects many things, including tendon problems, carpal and tarsal tunnel being another side affect of thyroid problems.... I am hypothyroid tho.
Lorinda