Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Newbie: PF from an ankle injury?

Posted by spring on 4/07/05 at 16:23 (172781)

About a month ago I had a bad ankle sprain (they called it 3rd degree). Basically lots of bruising and tenderness. I wasn't able to walk on it for 3 weeks, and I used an air-cast and crutches during that time. A week ago I started to be able to walk on it again, but with a limp. The weird thing is that the ankle itself is not that painful anymore, but the arch and heel of my foot hurt a lot. Like a burning sensation that is bad in the morning, okay at work, and bad again in the evening. It even makes it hard to get to sleep.
I was told today by the doctor that it looks like it is PF (I had never heard of PF before), and he gave me a list of stretches to do. After doing the stretches the foot hurt so much that I'm back to using crutches! Any advice? Does this sound like PF? I have read thru a bunch of the posts on this forum but I have not seen ankle sprains as a cause.
Thanks in advance!

Re: Newbie: PF from an ankle injury?

Mike W on 4/08/05 at 13:33 (172839)

Hello Spring,

Many of the traditional PF stretches are poor and often do more harm than good.

You should not perform any weightbearing stretches because the related muscles will be contracted prior and during performing them. These muscles should be relaxed.

Standing on the edge of a stair and lowering your heels is the one that hurts most people.

If you want to learn more about this, please check out my website at http://www.foottrainer.com . We even offer ankle sprain exercises as well.

Regards,

Mike W

spring on 4/08/05 at 15:08 (172844)

Okay - thanks!

spring on 4/08/05 at 16:51 (172850)

Oh, by the way, does this even sound like PF to you? Is it possible to 'get it' from an ankle injury? Thanks again

Kathy G on 4/09/05 at 08:33 (172877)

Hi Spring,

I'm sorry that your foot hurts. It's bad enough to have a sprained ankle without the added complication.

If you read the Heel Pain Book, you'll find it's loaded with wonderful information about PF. Your symptoms could certainly indicate PF. Everyone seems to exhibit somewhat unique symptoms although some have 'classic' PF. If you want some good stretches, click on Foot Yoga for some marvelous exercises supplied by one of our regular posters, Julie, a master in Yoga. Many of us have found these exercises to be one of the most important parts of my recovery process.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. We have some wonderful posters who are happy to answer specific - and general - questions.

Good luck!

spring on 4/09/05 at 13:46 (172893)

Kathy,

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction! My ankle is still healing, and even with all the ligament damage the dr. *insists* that I continue putting weight on it. He says that I am being too cautious, but I don't think he really understands the intensity of my heel/arch pain. Apparently at this stage moving the ankle, even if it hurts, is supposed to help it get better. From what I am reading, though, I'm afraid that the exercises that he is having me do are simply doing more damage. After I did the stretching and rehab exercises, I am back to cruching around without putting any weight on my foot at all, trying to figure out whether to follow this doctor or not.

At the end of the day, I really feel like the PF pain (if that is really what this is) is taking priority over my ankle right now. I'm pretty sure the sprain will take care of itself, but it looks like PF can continue for a long time!

KP on 4/14/05 at 10:30 (173179)

I agree, I didn't really really know this until now, but looking back on what's said here and how I feel when I do stretches the course I've had with this, the heavy stretching is NOT good. I have never had a good expereince with the overstretching and light stretching seems to be the best. The problem I always feel is with shoes. I can't find the right support and that's where things seem to be difficult for me.

Eileen L on 8/26/05 at 07:57 (181216)

I'm almost positive that I got my PF from a very bad sprained ankle. But for me, the PF started on the opposite foot, I assumed because I was favoring the foot with the sprain.