Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching for atypical PF and combined TTS

Posted by Heather M on 4/07/05 at 16:24 (172783)

I've seen lots of different stretches for PF on this site but I have atypical PF with no morning foot pain just pain after standing, and TTS in both feet. Do I do the same exercises?

Re: Stretching for atypical PF and combined TTS

Tina H on 4/07/05 at 16:32 (172786)

I have long wondered why people think that is 'atypical' PF. Lots of people who post here started just with pain that got worse during the day. I don't think it is that unusual and I think any safe especially non load bearing stretches will be beneficial. Just be careful with more aggressive stretching, like the heel off the edge of the step stretch. I would stay away from stretches like that unless your doctor approves them. The plantar fascia stretch and Julie's foot yoga stretches in my opinion seem safe and have at least helped me. You can find these by clicking on the link in this post. I don't know anything about TTS, I'm not a doctor and I am commenting only on the pf portion of your question. Good luck and I hope you find relief soon! Tina

Heather M on 4/07/05 at 16:46 (172790)

Thanks, I will definitely try them. My doc perscribed PT and they did almost no exercises with me and I got no better just a big bill. Thanks again!

john king on 4/08/05 at 11:19 (172834)

Heather

I went for PT and I could not walk aftewards. I think with your feet if it really hurts don't do it. Stretching has always irritated my PF and made it worse for days.

Heather M on 4/08/05 at 11:25 (172835)

John,

Do you have both PF and TTS? How much PT did they make you do? Pretty much all they had me do was the marble pick up and the bar and the tilt board along with the biomachine and whirlpool. No change at all and it cost me out of pocket $300 for 4 weeks. I started doing the morning calf stretch cause I figure that can't hurt but I'm afriad I let this go for too long. Anything help you?

ElishaJ on 4/08/05 at 13:49 (172841)

Heather,

How long have you had atypical PF? I have had severe atypical PF for 2 years, no morning pain, but unbearable throughout the day. I have done prolonged periods of stretching my fascia but it does not seem to help ever. I think (and I am not a doctor) that stretching does not hurt, but it probably wont help you if your fascia is not tight it the mornings. try a lot of icing and switching off and on with heat and massage, which I find just helps manage the pain and feels good. Taping has really helped me with my atypical PF. i-roc shoes have helped me, You can go to i-roc.com and buy those very expensive shoes (which has helped my atypical PF). Otherwise, I rest my feet a lot. Good luck.

Heather M on 4/08/05 at 14:46 (172843)

Elisha,

PF started just over 10 years ago in College. I cheered and it started at the football games. We were on our feet ALL day and by the end I was in agony! Since then it only acted up after prolonged hours until about 2 years ago when the time on my feet just started getting shorter and shorter. Now I'm in pain within a few minutes and sometimes, my left foot especially, hurts just to have on the ground at my desk. It just seems like there are so many conflicting ideas. I try to rest them as much as possible but then I've heard that then the muscles get weak and make it worse. I will look into the i-roc shoes cause lord knows nothing feels good my high heels feel just as good as my tennis shoes. have you had ESWT? Cortisone?

ElishaJ on 4/08/05 at 17:47 (172854)

Heather,

I am 25 years old and my PF started abrubtly at work(on my feet) 2 years ago and since then it's been progressingly been getting so bad that when I brush my teeth I must kneel on a stool, and I must wear crutches when I go grocery shopping. I only weigh 110 lbs. At first I tried keeping up with normal activity, but it just kept getting worse. maybe it is so bad now only because my muscles and ligaments are so weak???? But, I have orthotics, which I cant even really feel, but they help a little. tried cortisone (3 x in both feet) typically for most people they have some relief, but for me it just seemed to aggravate my condition. Did ESWT (which was pretty painful for 3 weeks post, and then started to slowly resolve back to the original pain level (no help, but didn't make it worse, just expensive). I have even recently done the EPF (partial release) on the left foot (2months post surgery, but only made the fascia hurt worse). So now I am limping(and need a handicapped parking sticker), but keep in mind, that my doctor told me that he has been a podiatrist for 20 years and has only seen 2 people with PF worse than me. So, just keep trying and hopefully something will work for you. Keep me up to date.

Mar on 4/09/05 at 07:35 (172875)

Elisha -

Although I am in similar circumstances(weight and PF history), my heart goes out to you at 25 years of age (I'm 53). I sure hope you can find pain relief. I am going for an evaluation for cryosurgery in 2 weeks. If I wind up having the procedure done, I'll post here how it goes. In the meantime, stay off your feet as much as possible and save them for things you really want to do. Thinking of you - Mar

john king on 4/09/05 at 19:59 (172901)

Nothing helped me to tell you the truth. The PT was a joke. In theory I understand what they were trying to do but it just did not work for me at all.

Heather M on 4/11/05 at 12:15 (172969)

Elisha,

Wow, that so sucks. I'm 32 and I'm terrified that in a few years I will be disabled. I'm still able to do things so I'm not at your level but the last year has progressed quite quickly and that makes me nervous. My heart goes out to you and if you have any luck with anything you keep us posted here. I'm calling my doctor to let him know about the lack of relief from the cortisone and we will see what he says. I'm doing the stretches but like I said before since I have the TTS as well I'm worried that I'm irritating that. Who knows I guess most of this is trial and error anyway which is the most frustrating part. Your in my thoughts...