Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Inserts - Anyone Heard of This Before/Doctor's Opinion

Posted by Joan M on 4/07/05 at 16:35 (172789)

Suffering from PF and my doctor wants to try custom orthotics at $250 out of pocket. Trying to do research and came across The Good Feet Store. Has anyone heard of this store and their arch support system? It involves wearing their supports the first day for 20 minutes and increasing 20 minutes each day. When you're not wearing them, you wear a 'trainer' support. They cost $490 out of pocket. They claim to re-position and change your foot structure. A doctor's opinion would be most helpful with this claim.

Re: Inserts - Anyone Heard of This Before/Doctor's Opinion

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/07/05 at 17:12 (172792)

Joan:
The type of orthotics your doctor are suggesting are custom made, domestically, and much of what is involved is labor costs. They are like prescription eyeglasses. The Good Feet store sells a non-custom made support based on the premise that somehow your feet will change to adapt to the shape of their devices. Their devices are prefabricated. I am not familiar with any scientific evidence that a pre-fabricated device can change the the structure of someone's foot.
Ed

Dr Ben Pearl on 4/07/05 at 18:43 (172798)

marketing!

Ralph on 4/07/05 at 18:49 (172799)

Here I go again talking up the Search feature on this website, but it really contains a lot of good information. If you haven't used it Joan,
just plug in the words Good Feet Store and begin reading what others have posted.

What I think is so interesting about this site is that there are so many people that have come here before me and most of them asked many of the same questions that I have wanted answered too.

I'm not the first person with P.F. and I know from the daily posts that I won't be the last.

Joan M on 4/07/05 at 19:14 (172800)

Ralph, Thank you for the 'Search' tip. I'm not that savy on the computer so I appreciate the help. Sorry to have repeated the question. I'm thankful for all the information. I was very close to purchasing the Good Feet product and have decided to call my DPM and order custom orthotics tomorrow.

Sharon B. on 4/07/05 at 19:47 (172803)

I'm not a doctor, but good move in my opinion. My husband tried Good Feet about 3 months after his PF started. Made him worse. Quite a bit worse. He would definately NOT recommend them. His current doctor (he's had PF since Nov 03) highly recommended he get out of his hard custom made orthotics and get into soft custom made ones. He was unable to tolerate them (too much pain with the change we supposed) until after he had ESWT 9 weeks ago. He's able to wear them now and likes them. He definately recommends custom made orthotics.

Dr. Z on 4/07/05 at 19:56 (172805)

How are his feet

Sharon B. on 4/07/05 at 20:08 (172809)

He has seen some improvement. There wasn't much until after the 6th week or so. He wasn't worse, but wasn't any better. Now he notices that it is longer in the morning before they hurt, and after work they recover much quicker. He seems to be able to walk alot better and longer at work without pain, it's just the standing still that hurts. As the week wears on it gets a little harder on him. But he seems to not have the deep burning pain as often as he used to. (it used to be continuous..standing, walking sitting, whatever). It will flare up occasionally when he's sitting, but he used to have the deep burning pain for hours after work. (he works on concrete 11 hours a day) Sometimes his feet feel better when he's sitting if he leaves his shoes on. He really feels like the soft orthotics have helped as well. We just hope and pray it continues on this way.

Richard, C.Ped on 4/08/05 at 08:11 (172817)

Hold back your anger Richard....hold it....hold it......

whew...ok....I'm better now.

$490?????????????????? All I can say this time is...OMG.

That really gives good pedorthists a bad name.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/08/05 at 18:34 (172862)

Dr. Ben:
Man are they ever good at marketing! Perhaps we have something to learn from them in those regards but I think we would have to maintain our professional ethics in the process.
Ed

Dr Ben Pearl on 4/09/05 at 06:53 (172874)

thats what I love about this forum, we can dispel hype from our experience and the research that is available

Rose M. on 4/09/05 at 17:13 (172895)

Hi Joan,
I've posted here re: orthotics from the Good Foot stores. I fell for the talk, and for the first 4 weeks. approx., my feet improved. Then I developed swelling and numbness in the balls of my feet! My doc told me to go back to my custom orthotics and older shoes, not to buy or try anything for awhile till my feet felt better. It took a few weeks, but the swelling and numbness went away. I also got the same response when trying Dansko shoes (for my job). I'm back to wearing my orthotics with a good supportive sneaker, and over the last few months my feet have slowly improved. I've had PF for almost 4 years. If I had come to these boards first, I wouldn't have fallen for the 'talk', and wasted money. Good Luck!