Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Richard - Orthotics Question

Posted by Joan M on 4/07/05 at 19:50 (172804)

Richard - I just found this site today and am new to all of this. I have PF and am trying to figure out the best course of action for healing. My DPM wants to put me in custom orthotics. Someone in his office took impressions of my feet (I was seated and they pushed on my knees to make impressions in foam) and will send the impressions to have orthotics made. Is it better to take my DPM's prescription to a Board Certified Pedorthist's office directly to have this done? Just not sure if getting the orthotics is the same whether getting them through my DPM or a Pedorthist. Will the price be about the same? My DPM is charging $250 (out of pocket/no insurance reimbursement). Also, will I be able to wear the orthotics in any shoe? Thank you very much for your guidance.

Re: Richard - Orthotics Question

Richard, C.Ped on 4/08/05 at 08:19 (172818)

I am not sure about others...but I only charge what insurance allows per network. I am really good to those who do not have insurance or if their insurance does not cover. I really can not speak for other c.peds or docs regarding prices.

If someone brought their prescription to me...we also take the seated impression. We do not send the impression off...we make the orthosis right here. We will have them ready the same day if it is a Friday (so you do not have to wait through the weekend), but mostly we have the orthosis ready the next day.

I know some people wait between two to three weeks to get their orthosis back.

Most of the time, orthotics can only be worn in certain shoes. The orthosis has to be interfaced correctly with the shoe. The orthosis can not be rounded on the bottom. When we fit an orthosis, we try to fit them to an athletic shoe first. When this is done, it will go in other shoes easier. I would not suggest high heels. I don't wear them, so neither should others...haha.