Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

unexplained heel pain

Posted by sophie123 on 4/09/05 at 23:48 (172908)

I have been suffering from extreme heel pain for the past couple of years. It's hard to pinpoint now when it started to become unbearable. My podiatrist has run an MRI and saw no evidence of heel spurs. Also, I do not have pain in the morning - it increases as the day goes on. Standing is almost worse than walking. Also, orthotics and medications such as Aleve or even Celebrex do not help. What can it be? and what can I do?

Re: unexplained heel pain

Dr. Z on 4/10/05 at 12:28 (172915)

May have the beginning of nerve entrapment some type of neuropather, lower back involvement. Get a neurological accessment

sophie123 on 4/10/05 at 12:37 (172916)

Thanks. One thing I forgot to add. The pain is symmetrical in both feet and it is an extreme aching pain (not a sharp pain) that gets worse over time in the day. Could this be neurological too?

Dr. Z on 4/10/05 at 13:32 (172919)

Yes. I would also get an ultrasound of the plantar fascia. An ultrasound can pick up fascia problem that the MRI won't. Ultrasound examines fascia while it is moving an MRI doesn't