Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dumb maybe-but it can be done

Posted by Elyse B on 4/10/05 at 14:02 (172921)

well I ran a half marathon this morning, could have been a dumb thing for me to do but I am NEVER going to give into these feet. It has been over a year now and this PF or whatever has not gone away but it has not gotten worse. Left foot actually feels perfect, right foot was like running on hot coals. I am working very hard with a personal trainer now to try and strengthen all my leg muscles and especially my calves. Pain still there but I think strength training helps.

Re: Dumb maybe-but it can be done

marie on 4/10/05 at 15:00 (172922)

I hope you didn't do any damage.Just be careful we want to hear that you're running in marathons in the future too. Congrats.

marie

Elyse B on 4/10/05 at 15:56 (172925)

well it has been over a year and I have not stopped running so I cannot imagine that I made it worse. No marathons for me EVER.

john h on 4/10/05 at 21:35 (172938)

I have always wondered what it would do to just go out and run 5-10 miles even with feet hurting? Keep us informed of what goes on with your feet in the next few days. Would it not be strange if a cure for PF would be to run 10 miles???? I do not prescribe this but perhaps you will provide some answers.

Re: well, it can be done if it can be done

elliott on 4/10/05 at 22:14 (172939)

Elyse, it's great to say you're never going to give into these feet unless you reach the point where you must give in to these feet. I reached the point with TTS where I could take a month or two off of running, then lightly jog one mile with the result being I'd have numbness and burning in my foot lasting well over 24 hours and so severe that I was close to wishing I were dead. Had surgery that got rid of that but left my foot unstable so that even a short attempt at running would result in the feeling of bone breaking and tissue tearing and then limping for weeks; I had major trouble walking even without attempting to run. I just had surgery for foot reconstruction of sorts and, crazy as it sounds, still dream of returning to running; I'm heartbroken without it. But saying I am NEVER going to give into these feet would have been just words long ago.

That said, the runner's bible says that if you don't get progressively worse with the running you're doing, then you're fairly safe doing it. I'm sure not everyone would agree, but it's one version of the bible. :-) Good luck, and I hope things hold up for you.

elliott

elliott on 4/10/05 at 22:31 (172941)

john h, it's a great thought, but there's just one problem: Julie Babes just won't give you permission. :-) Hey, even I'll admit that 5-10 miles from scratch is kinda crazy under any circumstances, even for someone painfree (remember shin splints?). Why not try .5 mile, and if you don't get worse, try 1 mile three days later, and if you don't get worse, try 1.5 three days later, and if you don't get worse, try 2 miles three days later, etc. When you get up to 5 miles, start bringing that three days down to two and if possible one. Before you know it, you'll be running decent mileage regularly. Or maybe not.

Re: well, it can be done if it can be done

Elyse B on 4/11/05 at 05:19 (172942)

Thanks Elliot, I hear what you are saying but I am going to go with the runners bible. I have run through this for a year and I do have to say my left foot is almost better and right is still problematic. I have never, ever had issues with walking, only running. As I wake up this morning after the half marathon, my feet feel fine perfect except for a huge blister on the bottom of my foot. I still think this PF thing is different on everyone, mine was never typical first step morning pain, pain was alwyas in my arches. I am going to keep training and getting my legs stronger and see where this takes me. This was my first 'distance' race since the PF and it was very hard. Until and if the feet get better, I will stick with the shorter runs. Ain't nothing like the feeling of a hot poker jabbing your foot with each step. I seem to get to 5-6 miles and then feet and my brain give in,

Thanks again Elliot and hope we all get better.

John H on 4/11/05 at 10:22 (172953)

Elliott I tried three short laps. Did not have the courage to go the distance as I vividly remember when PF was at it's worst. Do agree that I would never recommend someone with PF go out and run 5 miles or even 1 mile but if they do I want to know the results. I did hike up a rather steep mountain on very uneven grounds and large rocks (last year). I was no worse for the effort. It was about a 45 minute hike to the top. The last 15 minutes is very steep and your foot is working in every direction. Not sure the old knee will handle that now. We will see come summer.

elliott on 4/11/05 at 10:40 (172955)

So what happened after doing the three laps?

John H on 4/11/05 at 11:38 (172962)

Not much Elliott but I did not want to tempt fate. It was on an indoor padded track. Dealing with knee at the moment. I walked two miles outside yesterday and it did not bother me much after which I watched one of my favorite baseball second basemen take a blow to the knee on a double play from a very big Carlos Lee. His legs were planted so he suffered a serious knee injury. Could be out for season. I have two friends who have serious knee problems and are releagated to the bike or swimming as they have very little carlidge left. One gets a series of 5 shots into both knees once a year which he says last all year and helps hold down the pain (lubricant). Like me he has been a sports warrior all his life for which we now pay the price. We have good hearts but our joints have taken a beating. I was considering playing a little golf but of course you piviot using your knee (and fascia) so unless I just stand flat footed that does not sound like it will work. Maybe I should take up roller skating, skate board or becoming a surf dude? Not sure I could Hang Ten.

Elyse B on 4/11/05 at 12:27 (172972)

but John and Elliot I have been running for over a year with PF. I did not just got out and do 13 miles. Elliot has the right idea, if you are going to try and run you must start at a very short distance and build from there. I run 4 days a week and usually between 4-5 miles. I say I can go about 4-5 miles and then feet start to hurt worse than usual. As for my feet today (Monday) after doing the half marathon, hard to tell as I have two huge blisters but I do have to say they are NO worse than they were on Saturday before I ran a half marathon.

In my humble opinion, John if you could hike you could at least run/walk. Yes you are a warrior, if I remember correctly weren't you walking with an incline of 10 on the treadmill? Nothing like moderation, like I should talk. Well I can talk because I know I won't be doing another half marathon for a year.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/11/05 at 13:04 (172976)

Did my usual 1.2 miles today totally pain free. That's not a long distance compared with you guys! It's a lot for me, though, and enough to make me happy since I was never a runner anyway. I have a 'walking buddy' to keep me inspired to keep moving and we go at a pretty fast clip. :)

Carole C

Elyse B on 4/11/05 at 13:11 (172982)

way to go Carole, keep it up. It can be done. I am bringing my mileage back down after the 13.1 to try and keep feet in better shape.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/11/05 at 13:21 (172984)

Thanks! My feet feel great, so really my main worry right now is shin splints. But my walking partner and I are being careful to notice any shin pain since she had them before, from walking.

If I hadn't had PF, I wouldn't be wearing such good shoes (I found out that my feet like NB 991's). So, PF actually turned out to be helpful for me in the very long term.

Carole C

Elyse B on 4/11/05 at 15:55 (172991)

I think a lot of leg/feet problems come from walking on concrete and walking uphill. I run on both ergo my feet hurt. Also shin splints can come from doing too much too soon but it looks like you have a handle on that by taking it slow. If you want to add mileage, add it very, very slowly. Don't be a nut like me and run a half marathon with no training.

It is interesting... my podiatrist (of the $600 orthotics) suggested I buy the NB 991's. I did and they KILLED my feet, ankles and I started to get ITB issues. I went back to my Mizuno Creations which are cushioning shoes and did much better. I happen to like the Mizunos because the arch is kind of built of in them.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/11/05 at 21:59 (173009)

The 991's work for MY weird feet, but I sure wouldn't recommend them for everyone's feet! Our feet are so individual, especially here on heelspurs.com, and this model of NB is the only one I've found that seems to work for me. I'm glad you had the sense to ditch the 991's when they bothered your feet like that. :)

Thanks for the shin splint advice. That's sort of what my walking partner and I were thinking. She's had them before, and I started to get shin pain at one point so I backed off on my speed for a while.

It would be great if we could walk everywhere on dirt or grass, but we work in an office building in the middle of a huge concrete parking lot, and we walk across that to walk on the concrete sidewalks of the shopping center across the street. No grass in sight anywhere. (sigh) So, the type of shoes makes such a huge difference to me.

Carole C

Elyse B on 4/12/05 at 07:53 (173019)

Carole as I have always been told, SPEED comes last. Build your endurance and distance and after about a year, than you can slowly start increasing the speed, at intervals, i.e., pick two lamposts and increase your speed between them. You need to get your body used to the 'pounding' even if it is only walking. Not to say you cannot do hills, but start slowly and make sure they are not really steep.

I hear what you are saying, I would give anything to be able to run on grass, dirt or even a track. Not much grass here in NYC.

Re: Davis' exercise rule for plantar fasciitis

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/12/05 at 14:58 (173056)

Generally, if what you do today, exercise wise, does not make you hurt worse tommorrow, then that activity is probably okay.
Ed

Re: Davis' exercise rule for plantar fasciitis

john h on 4/12/05 at 18:34 (173085)

Ed: I nearly always find that what I did yesterday is the cause of today's pain when it comes to PF. In fact I do not remember an incidence of doing anything that caused immediate pain with PF>

Julie on 4/20/05 at 04:59 (173443)

Elyse, I am beginning to wonder whether what you have is PF...

Glad you're enjoying running, but please keep in mind that for most people, what you're doing would be a no-no.

Julie Babes

:) for Elliott