Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar recovery time?

Posted by Marathon man on 4/11/05 at 07:24 (172943)

I am a 47 year old male of average weight, and have been running 35/40 miles per week in the run up to the London marathon next weekend. (Up from maybe 15/20 miles per week for the past six yeara)
When I set out on Friday evening for my usual 8/10 miles, I was struck by a significant pain on the underside of my heel, and stopped immediately (in the hope of preventing it getting worse).
Saturday, I found myself walking on my toes to avoid the pain but, as I have now read, this was the wrong thing to do, and Saturday night I was in even more pain.
Sunday I reverted to attempting to adopt a more usual gait, and the pain has eased a fair bit.
However, it does still hurt and I have just one week to the Marathon.
What is the likelihood of me being able to recover adequately to get around 26 miles without being in agony?
Can I do anything to expedite the process?

Re: Plantar recovery time?

Elyse B on 4/11/05 at 07:27 (172944)

good luck, everyone's body handles this differently. Most of the people on this site have chronic PF which does not go away. Read Scott's heel spur book and see what you can find. Most podiatrists recommend orthotics which they say cures 90% of PF. Two of my running teammates now have PF and both of their podiatrists said that ice was no good but you will see that it is highly recommended by others on this board. You will never, ever get a straight answer on what will work for you. Try all the things in the heel spur book and see if anything works. I believe that stretching your calf muscles is probably the most consistent thing that works.

Good luck.

P.S. I have had PF for over a year and have not stopped running. It has not gotten any worse but it has not gotten significantly better.

Re: Plantar recovery time?

milley on 4/11/05 at 12:17 (172970)

Good luck hope you fine something that works, I can tell you the epf surgery does not, been there did it again and it doesn't work. If you find something effective let us all know ok!