Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

would 1 doctor answer this question please?

Posted by milley on 4/11/05 at 09:11 (172948)

Ok I am sitting here fuming mad with alot of unanswered questions! The topic of the day WHY?
How many people do benifit from EPF surgery?
How many have had to have it repeated twice or say, had to have an open approach a year later?
What is the average cost of an epf surgery?
Why has 1 foot cost me 36,920.17 when it was my foot to start with, and it is not like I had it bronzed in Gold or something. I owe more on this foot then I do both of my home mortgages put together! And to top it off I am in constant pain worse then before this all started.
Where do I go from here I need answers to the questions I am so tired of asking! I'm tired of being pleasant! How many of you have been seen by a foot dr in poplar bluff Missouri? If you know who I am talking about email me (email removed)
Who do you report this kind of conduct to?
And why should I be suffering why he is on some cruise or buying a new car at my expense. I can't even put groceries on the table right now because of him!
Something has to been done, too many of you are having the same problems. If this surgery is so unhelpful why has the ama or someone not put caps or limitations on it?
How many epf's can one surgeon be allowed to do say in a year, or better yet per day? He is sending them thru like cattle in a proccessing plant.
This has to stop.

Re: would 1 doctor answer this question please?

Dr. Z on 4/11/05 at 11:14 (172960)

Milley,
I can't answer all of your questions but I feel for your pain. A plantar fascia surgery can and does make your foot worse off in most cases this is why doctors try all kinds of treatments before surgery. This is why ESWT is used before surgery.
A doctor can perform the plantar fascia release perfect and still have a foot in terrbile pain. Cutting the main support system in the human foot and not have it heal properly is a passport to permenant foot pain.
You will see posters on here telling you that the doctor is important and the amount of fascia to be cut in important. The procedure can and does cause problem.
In fact most surgery ie heart surgery can cause additional problem look at Bill Clinton. All heart surgery carries a risk of death.
But this doesn't help you or help your pain. I really think that you pain is due to the procedure and maybe the doctor but differently the procedure is part of the problem More ESWT should be done and less EPF
It is the insurance companies that make the one sided claims that ESWT is experimental that in my opinion are responsbile for your pain.

milley on 4/11/05 at 11:33 (172961)

Should I not have been told of this after pain and problems that would arise? No consertive methods were discussed or tried. The Dr just looked at my m.d. xrays and said I can perform an epf surgery which will have you pain free and back into your regular shoe in 3 to 5 days. My husband said great lets do it, I'm tired of seeing her limping in pain. He did the taping ,unaboot, ice physical therpy after the surgery! I didn't know any of this could be done. If I thought nerve entrapment of lipomas would arise I would of never had this done. He did mention eswt but said my insurance would not cover it and I had 6 months waiting list to have it done. I figured, 3 days of pain vs 6 months well you do the math. Well here I am a year later limping worse then a one legged man in a but kicking contest. After further investigation this week, I have found my insurance does cover 90% of the eswt and finds it more effective for it's policy holders then epf surgery. Also, 2 people had the eswt on outpatient visit the same day as my first surgery, and there is no waiting list, however the work he has done has made him like I said 37,000.00 where eswt would not of. If i was to cut 2/3 of a rubber band say, you could not come behind me and cut 2/3rds as well. He also shows he completely rasp off the spur, well I have befor and after xrays, lay them on top of each other and they are the same exact size. How can we trust Dr.s that lie?If the surgery doesn't work why do it? Where is the code of ethics? I believe the epf surgery is overutilized, is unsuccessful and causes unneccessary damage and pain. I believe the medical board of poditary needs to talk to Mr. Barrett and tell him his methods suck and he needs to learn about eswt before anyone else is crippled!

Dr. Z on 4/11/05 at 11:46 (172963)

Performing an EPF or any type of Plantar fascia release WITHOUT any type of conservative ( non-surgical care ie strapping, injections, physical therapy, orthosis something ) is below the standard of care for podiatry . Are you sure you had no type of conservative treatment?. It hard to imagine this type of care that you never received.
There are patients that do have EPF surgery and do very well. It my opinion that ESWT should be done first before foot surgery but the until insurance companies start to pay for all FDA approved ESWT you are going to be the victum. I do feel that patients should have the option regardless of whethter there is insurance coverage. I wish I could give you more advice. I would be happy to examine you and try to help you but we are states apart.

milley on 4/11/05 at 11:59 (172966)

I wished you could, but like you say I am so far away! No he did not even discuss conserative treatment I have all the medical records here proving that he did not. My insurance company would of paid 90% if he would of took that route. They also pay 90% for orthotics. Had he of bothered doing that, I have excellent health Insurance thru greatwest health care, or better known as health link, that is why he choose surgery I believe and not telling me other options cha ching in his pockets if ya know what I mean?

milley on 4/11/05 at 12:00 (172967)

How much would you say an average office visit should cost, he has billed 350.00 for each office visit and submitted it as surgery?

Dr. Z on 4/11/05 at 15:30 (172989)

Fax me the Bill at 1-856-848-5122 and I will take a look at it

Dr Ben Pearl on 4/12/05 at 06:58 (173014)

agree on conservative care 1st including eswt, disagree on most plantat fascia surgery makes condition worse

milley on 4/12/05 at 08:36 (173023)

ok I will fax it to you when Im at work today, No fax here at the house, to busy buying things like that for my doc LOL.

milley on 4/12/05 at 08:38 (173025)

Have you seen anyone who has really benifited from the endoscopic type?
And what do you think of the open type, do you think it causes less damage, like nerve entrappment.

john king on 4/12/05 at 10:03 (173031)

Milley

Have you talked to a malpractice lawyer? It would cost less to consult than a visit to your Pod.

milley on 4/12/05 at 10:23 (173032)

I am trying too, cant find a good lawyer in this back country who is not related to the dr. LOl hick ville usa lol

milley on 4/12/05 at 10:33 (173033)

Member: MILDRED BESTON Patient: MILDRED BESTON Issue Date: 05/14/2004 Member SSN: 344-56-4905 Patient SSN: Group Name: THE GATES GROUP Address: HC 4 BOX 288 Relationship: Employee Claim #: 04125901826 DONIPHAN, MO 63935 Patient #: 20123 Rec'd Date: 05/04/2004 Provider: ZACKWRIE S PARR DPM
04/21/2004
OFFICE SERVICE(S) $60.00
04/21/2004
DRUGS $15.00
04/21/2004
DRUGS $5.00
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: MILDRED BESTON Patient: MILDRED BESTON Issue Date: 06/15/2004 Member SSN: 000-00-0000 Patient SSN: Group Name: THE GATES GROUP Address: HC X BOX xxx Relationship: Employee Claim #: 04156100412 DONIPHAN, MO 63935 Patient #: OP532 Rec'd Date: 06/04/2004 Provider: ADVANCED HEALTHCARE SURGICAL CENTER
04/29/2004
SPECIAL FEES $1,425.96
Member: MILDRED BESTON Patient: MILDRED BESTON Issue Date: 09/15/2004 Member SSN: 000 00 0000Patient SSN: Group Name: THE GATES GROUP Address: Doniphan Mo Relationship: Employee Claim #: 04147401587 DONIPHAN, MO 63935 Patient #: 1538C1O Rec'd Date: 05/26/2004 Provider: DONALD G FOUST JR CRNA
04/29/2004
ANESTHESIA $420.00

Member: MILDRED BESTON Patient: MILDRED BESTON Issue Date: 06/15/2004 Member SSN: 000-00-0000 Patient SSN: Group Name: THE GATES GROUP Address: HC 0 BOX 00 Relationship: Employee Claim #: 04167903301 DONIPHAN, MO 63935 Patient #: 20123 Rec'd Date: 06/15/2004 Provider: ZACKWRIE S PARR DPM
04/29/2004
SURGERY $900.00
Total = 2,745.96

These are a copy of my gfirst epf surgery. Note the first billing is for my first appointment to this Dr. on 04/21/04, all he did was give me a shot. Notice that on 04/29/2004 he did the surgery, this shows no conserative treatment other then a shot was done prior to the surgery,8 days prior.
Most Dr.s say the epf surgery cost's around 1300.00 Mine was 2,745.96 I believe that is double is it not? Please note however this is what the Insurance company paid, I paid a $650.23 co-pay on top of this making it
$3,396.19 and this was just surgery #1

april l on 4/12/05 at 11:12 (173038)

I have benefitted twice from EPF. My doctor claims 90% success rate. Both times I had the surgery, my doctors (one good, one not) insisted on conservative treatment first. About a year of conservative treatments. I think it is outrageous that your doctor didn't try conservative treatments first. Surgery should be a last resort. The amount you paid seems outrageous too. My surgery was about $3000, if I remember correctly and it was covered by my insurance.

april l on 4/12/05 at 11:24 (173040)

Oh, I thought you said you paid $33,000 for your surgeries. Your figures here seem reasonable to me.

milley on 4/12/05 at 12:03 (173049)

This was just the first surgery, I have had 5! 4, since the 1st epf for repair , 2nd epf was 4,900.00 same place charged higher amount. And still holding to see if I will have the open approach done, I am still debating over it! I don't think it is reasonable when the work wasn't done and had to be repeated. Most of us dont get paid inless we do the actual work right!

Robert B. on 4/12/05 at 16:37 (173068)

That's not too off the wall for the surgery, remember your not only paying the doctor but any other associated expenses.

Just a side note, I'd be carefull posting this type of information to a message board, social security #, patient ID# and employee # are a thiefs best friend, I know, I've been taken, badly..........

Dr. Z on 4/12/05 at 19:24 (173092)

Robert B

Good point. That is why I wanted this fax. Sorry I should have pointed this to Milley. The fees do appear to be in the range of plantar fascia surgery fees.

milley on 4/13/05 at 09:23 (173113)

Yes I put a little more in there then I realized I tried to edit it but missed some, stupid mistake. Yes I agree the charges on the first epf maybe normal what I am saying is that all the surgery and charges that had to be done as a result of the complications of the 1st epf, such as paying for it again. All the surgery combined has cost 37,000.00, this does not include Rx, office visits, or all the co pays Ive had to pay. These are just the surgery fees added together. Had the epf been done correctly then I would say the first total amount I wouldn't had a problem with.
It's bad enough to be in crippling pain a year later, worse then I ever was to start with, and to add insult to injury all this medical bills to straighten out what never should'nt happen in the first place.
I'm just saying that it is not fair that I have to go thru the pain, and the Dr. got his money pain free, I nor my insurance company paid him pain free. I'm just saying he should be held accountable, he should tell his patient's about conserative treatments first, Lord knows I would of took that route first. I have on my other foot and after 2 months of it, it is now pain free some I'm sure it would of worked on my left one as well!

Re: administrator

milley on 4/13/05 at 11:55 (173127)

please remove this post, I posted more then I realized. thank you!

elliott on 4/13/05 at 12:32 (173131)

Milley, here's a link giving an interesting outline of what should be done on the first eight visits (just page down and you'll see it):

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/podtd/displayArticleaa.cfm?articleID=article2140

[]

milley on 4/15/05 at 11:09 (173249)

I sent my foot pictures and records to a dr in Germany heres his reply !

Dear Milley,
Thanks for being so patient with me. But I had to contact a friend of
mine to help me.
After seen the pictures of your foot I would say:
1. The fat pad melted away unter too much cortison shots.
2. One of the multiple surgeries damaged the medial branch of the
Nervus tibialis > this is why your toes are 'curling' > the extensors
drag the toes in this position because the flexors are to weak (the
cause is the nerve entrapment/lesion mentioned above)
3. After failed surgery one could consider a more extensive operation,
consisting of open exploration of the several nerve branches on the
medial side of the foot, release of the central portion of the plantar
fascia, excision of a heel spur (if one exsists).
Look for an experienced orthopedic surgeon (not these two guys you
mentioned)
Maybe call R. Luke Bordelon, MD, Director of Foot Clinic, Doctors
Hospital of Opelousas, Louisiana and Clinical Professor of Louisiana
Stat University School of Medicine, New Orleans.
If itīs not too far from your hometown go see him, otherwise they can
help you with a serious and well trained foot surgeon next to you.
And you should talk to him, whether this what happened to your foot is
really state of the art.
Sorry to say, but I doubt that.
If you look for additional help of a lawyer I leave it up to you.
I hope, that I could give you some perspective, not leaving you
completely depressed.
And please, keep me informed

Frank

milley on 4/15/05 at 11:43 (173255)

Thank you I found that page very usefull. I have been doing these kinds of things with my right foot and it is so much better, never will I have surgery on this one, learned my lesson now that I know what conserative care is LOL!