Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Wanna hide your age? Forget it.

Posted by elliott on 4/11/05 at 11:48 (172964)

Type in your name and state in the link below:

http://zabasearch.com/

Out pops your name, address, phone, and year (and sometimes month) of birth, with a pay option for a background check. I personally don't like this--any way we can get our personal data blocked or removed?

I entered my niece who's in an apartment and her birth year does not show up, nor does my uncle's and he's over 70 and has lived in the same residence for decades, yet my father's does and he just moved a year or two ago. I know someone who just moved to a new state and changed back to her maiden name after going thru the Big D I don't mean Dallas. Her birth year does not show up although her new name and address do. So not sure where the data is coming from.

Re: Wanna hide your age? Forget it.

Elyse B on 4/11/05 at 12:29 (172973)

I tried it Elliot and nothing came up for me. I work in a law firm and we hire private investigators to do stuff like this you would (a) be amazed at how much info is on the internet and (b)even more stunning, how much people tell private investigators over the telephone, some dummies even give away their social security numbers.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/11/05 at 12:57 (172974)

It has multiple sources of data. I typed in my name and did not select a state. It came up with the four addresses I have had in Louisiana, so it goes back at least to 1999. I have lived in 7 states and none of the others popped up. However each of the four addresses came up multiple times.

The address of my ex in Phoenix popped up, and I have never lived there (in fact, he doesn't think I know where he is and I have let him think that). I'm certain that address came from the mortgage company (I gave him the house when we divorced but the paperwork hasn't gone through correctly, yet). That is the only thing that could have come from.

Carole C

elliott on 4/11/05 at 13:03 (172975)

What with switchboard. com being around for a while, an address may not be viewed as that big a deal nowadays. Did your birth year show up? If so, did it everywhere your name and address did?

Carole C in NOLA on 4/11/05 at 13:06 (172977)

Yes, it showed up on about 2/3 of them (but not all). Maybe it gets that info from drivers' licences? Hard telling.

Carole C

elliott on 4/11/05 at 13:07 (172978)

So, how old are you? Just kidding, just kidding.

:-)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/11/05 at 13:09 (172980)

LOL! I'm older than Methuselah! 56, to be specific. I know you were kidding, but personally it doesn't bother me to say my age here. :)

Carole C

Elyse B on 4/11/05 at 13:10 (172981)

I put my name in without a state and it came up with address and old telephone number but no birth year. Not much info really. Nothing you cannot get from switchboard or any of the telephone internet services.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/11/05 at 13:15 (172983)

OK, let's get exact: it has:

My ex's address (has my birthdate but no phone)
My first Louisiana address, in Baton Rouge (has my birthdate and phone)
The house that I rented for six months when I arrived in New Orleans (has this twice, once with birthdate, once not, and neither with phone)
The apt that I rented for two years after that (has this twice, both with birthdate but only one with phone)
My present house with no birthdate but with phone. All but this one were rentals.

Carole C

Re: One week post op

Delrea K on 4/11/05 at 16:00 (172993)

Hi All
Well it has been one week tomorrow and so far so good. The surgery went well and there has been little pain.In case you dont remember I had surgery for pf hs and tt all at once.
He said that there was a very lg amount of scar tissue there and had a lot of nerves compressed he removed a very lg heel spur and did the tarsel tunnel surgery and he did get the high zone. and the pf release I was sent home with strict instructions to not get on my foot at all for two weeks.I am trying but that is a hard thing to do when you have a two yr old.And no one to help in the house.My husband took the baby with him to town so I decided to sneek to the computer to let you all know how it went,My foot is still numb in places.But I do not feel alot of the old pain So ..So far so good So keep your fingers crossed for me.Back to bed before I get caught.
Delrea K

marie on 4/11/05 at 16:29 (172996)

I typed in my name and not only did I get myself but every one of our relatives. Small towns........everyone is either related by blood or marriage.

It could be a good way to find relatives that one may want to find.

marie

Susan on 4/11/05 at 16:39 (172998)

It gave just my current address. It gave a birth year, but it was not correct.

Suzanne D. on 4/11/05 at 20:08 (173005)

My month and year of birth came up as well as address and phone number. So did my husband's. But I typed in our married daughter's name, and no results were found; same with her husband's name. They have recently bought a house, after selling the house they purchased two years ago. They are also public school teachers as I am.

I wonder why there were no results for their names but my information is there? Perhaps it has to do with whether or not one has ordered merchandise over the internet. In the past I have stayed away from ordering online, but I have bought most of my shoes that way in the past four years since my foot problems began.

Suzanne :)

Richard, C.Ped on 4/12/05 at 14:49 (173054)

I have been playing with this for awhile. I am not going to say what names I entered, but it is scary what is avaliable.

Re: regulation of the internet

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/12/05 at 14:53 (173055)

Elliott:
The internet has been the last bastion of almost 'anything goes' as lawmakers have avoided regulation of the internet for fear of stifiling the growth of this incredible new medium. But, this medium has gotten very big and I would be willing to bet that the days of total freedom from regulation on the internet will gradually be coming to an end. There just is too much business and too much information passing over the net for this medium to go almost completely unregulated. The thing I wonder about is not 'if' but 'when' it will happen.
Ed

Re: RE: Zabasearch

Kathy G on 4/12/05 at 16:35 (173067)

This is quite interesting. I am aware that there's absolutely nothing someone can't find out about you via the internet. I tried some different names and found out that the person I know who has an unlisted telephone number isn't on the list. I'm on it twice and interestingly, there's another person with exactly the same name, including middle initial, and the same year and month of birth as I, listed as living in another city in the state. Maybe so but it's an unusual name. And NH isn't exactly huge.

I wonder if the Expedia offer is on the level. In this state, I think we still have to pay for our credit reports until September.

Re: more interesting reading about net content issues

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/14/05 at 17:46 (173214)

http://www.opennetinitiative.net/

Ed