Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I decided to hold off on surgery

Posted by DonnaG on 4/12/05 at 19:44 (173093)

I was scheduled for epf release surgery on April 6th, but I cancelled. After reading the responses to my question about the surgery, I thought long and hard about my decision. I decided to wait and see how my heel feels in the fall. I am not a 'sitter', and I know that I would want to be out and about this summer, so I am playing the waiting game. I started taping my foot in November, and it has helped tremendously. I even think it may be starting to heal (it scares me to say that in case I jinx myself). Thanks for all the responses that I got; both pro and con. It helped me to make a difficult decision.

Re: I decided to hold off on surgery

BrianG on 4/14/05 at 16:25 (173209)

Good decision Donna! Keep up with the self treatments that your able to do. Don't forget about icing either, that can help also, especially after you have been on your feet for too long. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask your family doc for pain medication to get you through any rough periods. I take it daily, as I will not have surgery again, unless someone comes up with a procedure that has 100% success. After 10 years of chronic PF pain, I'm not holding my breath.

Good luck, I hope you make it.
BrianG

Re: I decided to hold off on surger/Pain Meds ??

Terri on 4/14/05 at 16:45 (173210)

Could I ask what sort of pain meds? I was on Bextra...

BrianG on 4/15/05 at 12:47 (173260)

Hi Terri,

That class of drug never helped me at all. I have a very stubborn case of PF, with an apparent low tollerance to pain. I take morphine, daily. If and when a cure is on the horizon, I will slowly taper down, no big deal really. It is 'the only' thing that has worked for me. Once you get to a point that you can 'do life' on thse pills, you will not have to have any increases in years. I still have pain, make no doubt it, but I can do much more than if was not on the pain meds. I've gone over 2.5 years without an increase. It's just another pill as far as I'm concerned. I've never gotten a high, or anything like that. When taking narcotics for pain, a person very rarely has that euphoric effect, that so many heroin addicts are chasing!

Good luck,
BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/18/05 at 22:48 (173391)

Donna:
Please read the Heel Pain Book on this site. One option that is displacing most surgeries is ESWT. It is 80 to 90% successful but there is virtually no downside to it. Much information on it is to be found in the book.
Ed

john king on 4/20/05 at 16:06 (173462)

They have a long acting type of morphine I have used and you don't get the ups and downs like with vicodin. My problems is that narcotics get me depressed.

DonnaG on 4/26/05 at 11:18 (173762)

Thanks Ed. I have considered ESWT, but my insurance won't pay for it. I am retired now and on a fixed income, so the choice has been made for me by the insurance company. Doesn't seem fair, but life is not always fair.
Donna

Rob M on 4/26/05 at 11:46 (173763)

Dear Donna

Many of our patients have been using an insurance claims filing service to process their insurance claims for medical treatments, after they come to our clinic in Canada. You may want to contact them to see if they can help you, or give me a call. You may have better luck going the 'out of country' route.

Good Luck

Rob Mitchell
PainFree ESWT
1 866 444 ESWT (3798)

DonnaG on 4/28/05 at 11:20 (173871)

I don't live anywhere near the Canadian border, so it would be equally expensive to try to come there for treatment. But, thank you for the suggestion. If I live closer, there is not doubt that I would try it.
Donna

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/05 at 12:20 (173981)

Donna:
If you wish to have the Canadian 'technique' performed in the US, a number of practitioners do so. You can find them at http://www.sonorex.com
Ed