Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Math, of course

Posted by Bob G on 4/13/05 at 00:32 (173109)

There is a tale concerning Sherlock Holmes and John Watson on board a train. They passed a herd of sheep and Watson said, 'A sizable herd, Holmes, eh?'

'Exactly seven hundred eighty-four in number, my dear Watson,' said Holmes sleepily.

'Good heavens, Holmes,' said Watson, 'surely you can't have counted them.'

'Not directly,' said Holmes. 'I made use of a simple trick any school child knows. I merely counted the legs and divided by four.'

Re: more math, of course

Scott R on 4/13/05 at 09:53 (173114)

Calorie restriction experiments in many species have shown that for every extra, non-necessary 120 calories you eat, you lose an hour of your health and life. One cigarette shortens health and life by 15 minutes, so an extra candy bar and soda each day is as unhealthful as smoking 20 cigarettes a day.

Kathy G on 4/13/05 at 13:09 (173134)

Ah, Scott, you can make math say whatever you want it to! Is the death from cigarette smoking ailments more painful than the death that's caused by obesity? Like everything in life, it's all relative.

Re: Math, of course

JudyS on 4/13/05 at 19:51 (173142)

Ah Bob you are just way too funny!

Chris is off to grad school at CSU Fullerton.....

Re: Isaac Asimov

Bob G on 4/14/05 at 00:13 (173154)

Thanks, but Isaac Asimov deserves credit for being funny. But I get credit for getting up occasionally at sunrise and jogging on the beach. No pain, except when I pull myself away from warm bed and pillow.

What I learned from heelspurs I apply often to knees. Right now, it's the left knee that pops out and in. So right now it's knee braces on both. Hot bath before bed helps knees recover - since no chance of injury in bed.

Warm ups include foot stretching on the footflex.

Chris has got it made - life has got to be good, young and in school. Great kid lucky to have such cool parents.

Re: Isaac Asimov

Scott R on 4/14/05 at 13:10 (173193)

to quote an orthopedic surgeon 'the best brace for a joint is more muscles surrounding it'

Scott R on 4/14/05 at 13:37 (173197)

You're right, simple math doesn't describe the whole picture. I would prefer to be a light smoker than a huge person, or maybe a little overweight instead of a heavy smoker. Obesity and smoking cause years of being unattractive and unhealthy. Obesity tends to lower self-esteem which makes for a nicer person. Smoking makes people more mean, aggressive, and downright smelly. Most deaths from obesity take years and can lead to things like amputation from diabetes. At the very least it decreases mobility. They both very often lead to the easiest death (heart attack) but the smoker generally is usually mobile before the surprise. Smoking does carry the risk of a moderately hard death by lung cancer which takes about 7 months of increasing misery to nightmare as one is slowly forced to stop smoking and go through withdrawel before they die by virtue of not being physically able to light up. So it's not easy to know which is preferable. But i don't think it's relative. If it's all relative, then i guess you would be indifferent to putting a pet to sleep. But it might not be relative to the pet.

wendyn on 4/15/05 at 08:51 (173240)

Scott, you could be a light smoker, but there is no such thing as light cancer.

Ever watched anyone die of lung cancer? I have. He was only 38.

Our 89 year old uncle is dying of emphysema. He was never a smoker, but he worked with asbestos and chemicals. My grandfather died of the same thing (also a non-smoker).

Lung cancer and emphysema are two horrible, horrible ways to die.

And yes, I know it's hard to quit. I'm an ex-smoker.