Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Coffeemaker

Posted by JudyS on 4/13/05 at 20:20 (173144)

Well, this board has proven to be a very reliable source for consumer information so I'd like to pose that kind of question....

We seem to have a problem with coffeemakers. They either leak, are difficult to pour water in to, make poor coffee, etc. etc. We've purchased coffeemakers from $19.99 to $80.00 and are just having no luck. I've been thinking about buying a Cuisinart but thought I'd ask you folks for recommendations first.

Thanks...

Re: Coffeemaker

Carole C in NOLA on 4/13/05 at 22:51 (173149)

I have an inexpensive model by Braun. What I like about it is that one can pour coffee before the whole pot of coffee is brewed, and it will stop dripping until the pot is put back in place. What I don't like about it, is that it dossn't shut off automatically (ever), and lately I think it's started to leak too. :(

Sorry I'm not any more help! Let us know what you decide on, and how it turns out!

Carole C

Necee on 4/13/05 at 23:26 (173152)

Judy, the coffeemaker I have is a Bunn. I've had the thing for over 5 yrs, and it makes great coffee. What I like about it is...all the internal parts are copper. I just don't like to use a coffeemaker that has plastic inside, it just doesn't taste good to me. We've had the thing so long that it started leaking, a month ago my husband replaced the little seal on the inside, and it hasn't leaked since.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Necee

Linda V on 4/14/05 at 07:57 (173158)

I also have bad luck with coffeemakers. Seems like if I don't line it up EXACTLY...I get an overflow grounds mess. Happened twice with Mr Coffee models, so I got a Braun which I liked. It was fine, but then I needed a new one for the new house and I bought a Rival Chrome Thermal one. I hate it. It doesn't fit into the holder well at all. I should stick to tea.

Kathy G on 4/14/05 at 08:08 (173162)

See, if you were all like me, a connoisseur of fine coffee, you wouldn't be having these problems. All I need is my teakettle and a jar of Folgers Instant Decaf and I'm perfectly happy. D)

Kathy G on 4/14/05 at 08:08 (173163)

Darn it, it's supposed to be :D. I am so dumb!

John H on 4/14/05 at 09:47 (173170)

I have a Braun which works great.

Richard, C.Ped on 4/14/05 at 11:10 (173183)

I have an inexpensive Black and Decker Spacesaver which mounts under the cabinets. Never had a problem (knocks wood just in case).

Kathy in Ky on 4/14/05 at 16:52 (173211)

We bought the same under the cabinet Black & Decker Spacesaver- we've never had a problem & is very easy to program. Don't buy a Mr. Coffee, too many overflows onto the floor.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/14/05 at 20:19 (173227)

My ex and I had one like that! It's nice to have it out of the way, under the cabinets. I let him take it when we divorced. He liked having coffee brewed automatically every morning before he got up, whereas I prefer a less automatic coffeemaker. :)

Carole C

elliott on 4/15/05 at 15:37 (173269)

I just bought a new one for work, the Black & Decker Smartbrew,

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4011024

after dropping the carafe of my old one and watching it smash to pieces. I actually have the 5-cup version, but the picture looks identical, just scaled up. I'm pretty happy with it. It makes a decent cup, and the layout works very well. The flavor seems to hold even after sitting on the hotplate for several minutes (and is then hotter than when first coming out). It is also self-cleaning, in that a coworker takes the filter holder and carafe to the restroom for me while I am on crutches recovering from surgery. :-)

Re: Coffeemaker..overflows...and Kathy G solution

Linda V on 4/15/05 at 17:10 (173270)

Amazing how many others also found Mr Coffee to have messy overflows often. Kathy..I couldn't do your instant coffee, but I found the Folgers Coffee-bags do in a pinch. I'm going to have some on hand for power failures during hurricane season. Heat my water on the gas grill, make my coffee, and go back to hiding under the bed.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/05 at 21:04 (173277)

Judy:
How about a French press coffeemaker? There is nothing to break. All you have to do is pour boiling water over the coffee and press a plunger with a screen over it to isolate the coffe from the grounds.
Ed

JudyS on 4/15/05 at 23:36 (173287)

Elliott - we had the SmartBrew for awhile but had a problem with it leaking....so back to the store it went!
I've discovered that the coffeemakers that have the tiny overflow holes in the back tend to leak.

Thanks everyone for your information - I finally bought a basic B & D - I didn't bother with the auto start kind this time because we never used that. But it does turn itself off which I like.

John says it's fine and it seems OK to me - but if it messes up then I'm going to try a Braun or a Bunn. Or is it Bunn or Braun? Or brawn or buns? I give up!

JudyS on 4/15/05 at 23:38 (173288)

Ed I do in fact have a coffee press. I don't use it daily but I do use it when I want a cup or two of decaf after dinner. I like it but, well, I'm too lazy to use it every day!

Re: French Press

Necee on 4/16/05 at 00:10 (173290)

I forgot, I've got one of those coffee makers too! Guess that tells ya how much I use the thing. We were visiting relatives one time and they served us coffee made in a french press, it was great tasting coffee, I came home and bought myself one. Just can't remember to use the thing....the Bunn is much faster. I failed to mention in my other post about coffeemakers...the Bunn keeps hot water in the resevoir all the time, so the minute you pour water in the top, hot coffee comes out, theres no waiting for your coffee to brew.

Happy trails....

Necee