Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Richie Brace?

Posted by Robert B. on 4/14/05 at 08:03 (173161)

I was casted for a Richie Brace last week for a combination of foot ailments, posterior tibial tendon problem, PF and TTS. 2 of the 3 ailments are the result of the previous pediatrist spending TOO much time with conventional treatment plans for TTS, almost 2 years of shots, therapy, stretching, NSAIDs, etc. with no positive results. During the entire 2 years the pain progressively got worst and spread, I talked to him about it but he seemed to have tunnel vision and only wanted to treat to TTS.

My new orthopedic surgeon is attempting to control / correct the PF and tendon with brace. He said the additional problems are the result of the way I've been walking, causing more damage while I was trying to reduce pressure to the painful heal area.

Any comments or experience with Richie Brace???

Re: Richie Brace?

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/14/05 at 19:46 (173224)

Robert:
The Richie brace is an excellent product. Like all similar products, some of its success will be related to how the impression of your foot and ankle was made and how it is adjusted afterwards; adjustments are not always necessary but the practioner needs to be knowledgeable in that area.
Ed

Dr. Goldstein on 4/15/05 at 21:25 (173281)

As a podiatric surgeon who has fabricated 14 Richie braces in the past year they seem to be helpful 50-60% of the time. The key to fabrication of this brace is a good cast and knowledge of the product. You will be limited to certain types of shoes that you can use to fit the brace. The best shoe is an oxford extra depth type due to the amount of room the brace takes up in the shoe. It does take some time to get used too and sometimes adjustments are necesary so be patient. Give youself a good 2 months to get adjusted to the brace. You will need an orthotic in the other shoe to balance yourself as to not get a back ache. I have had good look with PT dysfunction and dropfoot. Plantar fasciitis maybe a different story. Good luck

Robert B. on 4/16/05 at 10:23 (173299)

Thanks for all the feedback, the brace, which I get monday was casted by Allied Orthotics and Prosthetics in Moorestown NJ. My Ortopedic surgeon is hoping (I am also) that this will correct the tendon and Plantar problem because of the molded insole, he said it will be similar to a hard orthotic. At this point I'll try anything. The TTS is a different story.

Had the other pediatrist treated the TTS earlier I wouldn't be in this condition now. The tendon and PF are the result of 2 yrs of conventional treatment and walking on my toes.

Once again, thank you

Robert B. on 4/16/05 at 10:29 (173300)

By the way, my doctor recommended New Balance sneakers for the brace. At least I can still look somewhat stylish while walking funny. At 45yo I don't want to look like an old man (please don't pick on me).

Dr. Z on 4/16/05 at 17:00 (173308)

Did you ever have an MRI or ultrasound