Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taping

Posted by Terri on 4/14/05 at 13:14 (173194)

Is taping recommended along with orthotics? Or is it one or the other?

Re: Taping

Scott R on 4/15/05 at 08:18 (173236)

Orthotics improve the effectiveness of tape and tape does not harm the benefits of arch support. The arch support keeps the tape in contact with the skin under the arch.

Richard, C.Ped on 4/15/05 at 09:44 (173245)

I think if the orthosis is casted and made correctly, that would be sufficient. Thats my opinion though.

John H on 4/15/05 at 11:13 (173252)

I have read that taping loses its effectiveness after a few hours as foot movement and stretching of the tape negate its effect.

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/19/05 at 21:42 (173433)

Hi John,

That can be true if you utilize a Zonas type of taping. That is the traditional white tape that doesn't have much give. Once it stretches after a few hours it is pretty much useless. The McConnell taping method is very effective especially when combined with Kinesio taping. That form of taping allows for support and movement. It can be worn for a few days at a time as long as you are allergic to adhesive and synthetics.

Dr. Rob

John H on 4/21/05 at 09:26 (173487)

What I have found with taping is the more complex it becomes the less likely one is to do it each day. I had a PT do a professional tape job one time and I am not so sure I could contort myself to make all those wraps. It was indeed effective. I finally came down to a very simple 4 strip method which is not as effective but one I can do in 3-4 minutes. I would like to view your method??

John H on 4/21/05 at 09:54 (173489)

What I have found with taping is the more complex it becomes the less likely one is to do it each day. I had a PT do a professional tape job one time and I am not so sure I could contort myself to make all those wraps. It was indeed effective. I finally came down to a very simple 4 strip method which is not as effective but one I can do in 3-4 minutes. I would like to view your method??

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/21/05 at 20:16 (173513)

Hi John,

The taping methods I have been taught are purely taken from the many classes and techniques I have learned. Tim Brown is one of the best when it comes to taping but he doesn't offer any videos or manuals to follow. He is always changing his methods which is one of the reasons why he doesn't video tape. In my opinion, a professional should do the taping. Your taping job won't be effective because you aren't trained and its virtually impossible to tape yourself effectively. I wish I could be more helpful.

Julie on 4/22/05 at 01:32 (173526)

Hello Robert

I've been very glad to see the posts you've made over the past couple of weeks while I've been enjoying myself in Crete and hope you will stay and offer your knowledge here. I do think, though, that it's discouraging to say that 'it's virtually imnpossible to tape yourself effectively'. When I was dealing with PF, five years ago, taping was a key factor in my recovery. The instructions in Scott's heel pain book were clear and concise: I used the simplest of the methods offered (two strips of tape connecting the ball of the foot and the heel) and for several months found it extremely helpful and effective at relieving pain and giving support.

I used Leuko tape, which kept its supportive qualities throughout a full active day. I would certainly encourage anyone seeking relief from PF pain at least try a simple self- taping technique. It may not work for everyone, but it certainly did for me.

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/22/05 at 20:22 (173552)

Hi Julie,

When I look back at my comments I obviously didn't get my point across and it sounded quite uncaring for which I apologize. What I was trying to say is that it is better to go to a practitioner that is trained and qualified to tape for your plantar fascitis then you doing it yourself. Having a skilled doctor tape you can make all the difference when treating this condition. I tape patients and the tape stays for 3-6 days. They come back in and I tape it again until it resolves.

I am glad to hear that you are better :)

Julie on 4/23/05 at 02:44 (173570)

Hi Rob

You didn't sound uncaring in the least and there is certainly no need to apologise. My response to your post was really meant to encourage people who haven't tried taping to try it. My own experience with self- taping was good. My podiatrist taped me professionally and effectively, but I could not have afforded to return to him once or twice a week for the six months it took my PF to resolve. When I learned about a much simpler taping technique through this website, I found it equally effective - and my podiatrist agreed that it was fine.

It's wonderful that you've found this site and are contributing to it. I share and appreciate your understanding of the body as a whole, and the potential of all aspects of the lower back and lower extremity for producing PF. We have had reports over the years from people who have been significantly helped by ART, and it is very good to have your input. I echo Dr Ed's request on another thread for you to tell us more about ART - when you have time.

Welcome!