Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

April in Little Rock

Posted by john h on 4/16/05 at 10:08 (173297)

http://share-dell.shutterfly.com/action/share/landingA2?i=EeANGbdqzaMWjG_A&open=1&x=1&sm=0&sl=0

Re: April in Little Rock

Carole C in NOLA on 4/17/05 at 07:37 (173321)

How beautiful! John, is that your home? It's lovely, too. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 4/17/05 at 07:59 (173324)

Gorgeous, John! Both your home and yard are beautiful and so well-kept.

Suzanne :)

john h on 4/17/05 at 09:54 (173326)

Carole: Home for 32 years.

Dr. Z on 4/17/05 at 12:16 (173331)

Very nice. Are there mountains in the distance ?

Susan on 4/17/05 at 18:07 (173342)

Great deck and back yard! And pretty kitty. What's the story on the plane and helicopter drawings?

john h on 4/17/05 at 19:12 (173346)

Susan: Those are some of the aircraft I piloted. I have had Tiger the cat for about 9 years.

john h on 4/17/05 at 19:16 (173347)

Yes Dr. Z we are in the foothills of the Ozarks. Little Rock is a very hilly city. I am about one mile from the Arkansas River and probably 700' above the river. It is nearly a mile wide at this point. West of my home about 3-4 miles are some 1-2 thousand foot hills and within 10 minutes you can be in some deep woods.

Elyse B on 4/17/05 at 19:56 (173352)

house and gardens are beautiful. Did I see two cats? One black one sitting on the ottoman and the other one on your computer or are they one and the same?

john h on 4/17/05 at 21:22 (173355)

Yes you did. Kitty is more charcol or some sort of off black and Tiger was supposed to be a Siamese but as he grew up it became clear he had some sort of parent who was not siamese. I got him from a trailer home way out in the country for $5.00 when he was about 5 weeks old. He was living with two dogs and a mama siamese. His father had clearly skipped out and not who he claimed to be.

Elyse B on 4/18/05 at 06:06 (173357)

Kitty looks just like my little guy. They look adorable and Tiger seems to enjoy using your computer. A little helper for you? They must love going into your yard as my two guys are apartment kitties.

Re: April in Little Rock - Help

Kathy G on 4/18/05 at 08:29 (173360)

I guess I've totally lost it. When I click on John's link, I get to Shutterfly but when I select all and then say 'view slideshow,' it won't do anything. I've tried saving them but I have to go to sign in before I can do it. I'm a member. Usually I can use it with no problem and I saw some nice pictures of Necee on her cruise and Wendy's son in the rain from old albums but I can't find John's! What am I doing wrong?

The little pictures sure are pretty!

Susan on 4/18/05 at 10:45 (173363)

It worked at first, but when I tried to go back and look again yesterday, it wouldn't work for me.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/18/05 at 12:07 (173365)

Shutterfly has never worked for me, on my old Sony computer or on either of my new Compaq computers. My comments were based on the thumbnails. People at the other message boards I go to (not on foot pain), use other free photo viewing websites and those have been a breeze, consistently.

Carole C

John H on 4/18/05 at 12:16 (173366)

KItty and Tiger are strictly house kitties. I do have a couple of kitties that are strictly outdoors but sleep in the garage at night (cat door).

Elyse B on 4/18/05 at 15:12 (173368)

John, you have house kitties and outdoor kitties that you feed? What do the outdoor kitties do in the winter? My guys would last 1 minute outside and would run away so fast if they saw a mouse.

marie on 4/18/05 at 17:02 (173374)

I love Azelas!! I am jealous that you guys are a couple months ahead of us up north. My hostas are just starting to peek out of the ground. We had an awful winter so I'm expecting the worst for my roses.

Your house is absolutely gorgeous inside and out. You and your wife have done a beautiful job!!!! I love the kitties too.

best wishes marie

john h on 4/18/05 at 17:53 (173378)

Marie: It will be about another 2 weeks before the grass is totally green and all the leaves are in full bloom. At the moment the tree pollen is terrible. My car is almost yellow. Our warm weather usually last through November and we will see some days of 70 into December. My redtops in the back are almost 30' tall. I planted them in 2 1/2 gallon containers. I have two mama raccoons who will probably give birth by the end of this month. I bet I am on the 7th or 8th generation of the same raccoon family. The mama will bring the babies to the back yard after they are about a month old to show them where supper is. They come before dark every night and follow me to the feeding bowl. The oppossum also eat with the raccoons side by side out of the same bowl. The cats steer clear of both the oppossum and raccoons.

john h on 4/18/05 at 17:57 (173379)

The outdoor kitties sleep in the heated and A/C garage each and every night. They come in around 6pm through the cat door at which time I lock it to keep out the other critters. If it is real cold they stay in until it gets warm. They were strays I adapated and very rarely leave our back yard as thing are to good around here. They have been with me for probably 5-8 years. They are very scared of most people as they were sort of wild when they showed up for food and it took me some months to finally be able to pet them.

john h on 4/18/05 at 17:58 (173380)

Shutterfly does not work on all browsers Carole. It does work on Explorer and Safari I know. Apple has the best site for creating albums I know of.

marie on 4/18/05 at 18:35 (173381)

Cats and oppossums do not get along........at all. My cat is very frightened of them......she doesn't like the skunk who visits occasionally either. We get alot of wildlife although we are in town.

Last week our paper reported that Bobcats are coming back into our area. We had one hit on the road and recently a local hunter set up a trip wire to his camera along a path he thought might be used by a bobcat. He not only got a good photo of it but there were two bobcats in the photo. They are endangered so they won't be hunted. We are hopeful that more will thrive up here. Goodness knows with wild turkey and rabbit population booming we could use a few feline hunters.

marie

Carole C in NOLA on 4/18/05 at 18:37 (173382)

John, this was all hashed out nearly to death a few years ago on this site, to no avail.

If you are unable to occasionally try one of the many, many, MANY other available (and more commonly used) free photo viewing websites, none of which ever cause problems like this, then fine! Then expect the results you are getting (or rather, not getting).

Makes no difference to me. :)

Carole C

Elyse B on 4/19/05 at 05:09 (173396)

John what a guy taking in strays. Do Tiger and Kitty stare at them and want to play? Heated and a/c garage you are a good daddy.

Susan on 4/19/05 at 10:03 (173403)

I just now saw the black kitty! Another thing I especially like is all the planting across the front of the house, surrounded by slate. Very lush and pretty.

People might try again to see the slide show. It was not working for me yesterday, and is working today.

How sweet of you to take in stray kitties.

JudyS on 4/19/05 at 18:47 (173426)

John, one of the cutest things I've ever seen was a mamma skunk and her four brand-new babies toddling around my back yard. Mama had given birth under our deck so, well, Mi Casa et Su Casa if you know what I mean! Those babies, as tiny and furry as a ball of angora yarn, were rolling about, running about, teasing eachother - it was just too cute for mere words to describe!

john h on 4/20/05 at 17:57 (173467)

Oppossum: Most people would be surprised to know just how soft the fur of a Opposum is. It almost like velvet. It looks very course but not so.

john h on 4/20/05 at 18:01 (173468)

Sometimes one of the strays will run inside and they get along just fine with the indoor cats. Of course the strays hardly qualify as strays as they have been here for years and have been neutered/spayed and get their shots and flea meds. One of the indoor cats was an outdoor cat until he fell out of a tree and had a bad break of his rear leg which leaves him unable to climb. He may have just done that to be an indoor cat.

john h on 4/20/05 at 18:03 (173469)

If you ever heard a Oppossum growl or roar you would be scared to. With all that noise and teeth they could scare a cat.

Kathy G on 4/23/05 at 09:16 (173579)

My son lived in some rather basic apartments after he graduated from college until he got married. Some of them, he wouldn't even let me see. In one such house, an opossum fell through the ceiling of his bedroom one night! It was quite crazed and ran all over the house until it finally found the door he and his roommates had opened for it.

Ah, I'm glad I hear these stories after the fact.

Ed E on 9/25/06 at 18:25 (211300)

What does an Oppossum growl sound like? We were woke up last night by the most God-awful sound coming from somewhere up in our Maple tree beside our house. It almost sounded demonic. Could it have been an oppussum?