Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long to heal after ESWT? Please tell me!

Posted by DavidW on 4/16/05 at 18:01 (173313)

It is so confusing. My Pod says that 5 to 6 weeks post ESWT all the healing is complete. People on these message boards mostly seem to say 10 to 12 weeks. The lithotripsy center that performed the ESWT states that pain aleviation begins around the 4th month and continues to get better up to 1 year. I am now in my 4th month post ESWT (high energy Dornier), and although I think things are getting better, I wish for more pain relief (I would say around 30% better so far).

Any info from anyone would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

Re: How long to heal after ESWT? Please tell me!

Dr. Z on 4/17/05 at 07:48 (173322)

Hi

If you take a look at the Dornier FDA study improvement graphs they should give you a guild. The mean average was 12 weeks that 62% reported excellent or good results and the average mean reduction in pain was about 50%
This improved with time and was observed and lasted up to one year, the pain reduction and reporting of results was oberved up to one year. For those reporting the average mean pain reduction was 92% and the excellent and good results were 94%
This would indicate that patients do get relief all along the time frame starting with the seond day up to one year
I haven't examined you completely so I have no idea if you have other factors contributing to your pain.
If you are limping and feel little to no relief then I would consider a 2nd treatment on you foot at this stage.

DavidW on 4/17/05 at 10:05 (173328)

Dr. Z

Thank you much for that information, it is very good to hear. I have had some improvement, which is good. I am hoping that the improvements will continue, and based on your information, I think that I should continue to get better. Only time will tell I guess. The lithotripsy center said that they would not consider a 2nd treatment (same foot) for at least 1 year.

Thanks again.

Dr. Z on 4/17/05 at 10:14 (173329)

David W

Just for your information . Most insurance companies will pay for a 2nd treatment between 12-16 weeks. I still would consider a 2nd treatment if you have the following
Pain is severe at the pf insertion
limping and or stiffness in the AM
All other problems are considered and evaluated if present

Dori M. on 4/23/05 at 20:04 (173605)

Please advise if the length of time to heal is due to the ESWT or the PF getting better? I'm confused and concerned, as I have ESWT scheduled for this coming week. Thanks.