Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

looking for suggestions for directing newcomers to heel pain book

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 4/18/05 at 22:58 (173394)

So many newcomers come to this site stating....'I have tried everything but...' They generally have not read the information in the Heel pain Book, the reading of which really would help newcomers ask more incisive questions and keep the site 'veterans' from repeating the basics.

I would like to open this thread up to suggestions on how ScottR can more effectively get the message across to newcomers to read the book first. We like to answer questions but feel a bit foolish by constantly reminding newcomers to read the Heel Pain Book first.
Ed

Re: looking for suggestions for directing newcomers to heel pain book

Kathy G on 4/19/05 at 08:36 (173398)

I think it would be very hard to get everyone to read the Heel Pain Book before they post because it seems to me that people who come here are often reaching out for human contact. They want to tell someone how awful their ordeal with PF is and they're hoping that someone here will understand. PF is universally misunderstood and the pain is downplayed by the general population who has never experienced it and the ramifications of it. When they finally post, they are hoping to hear some kind words and encouragement, then some concrete advice. In many cases, they are is such despair that they haven't taken the time to read the Heel Pain Book because their need for compassion and encouragement is greater. Once they've established some contact, and they're reminded to read the book, they do so. It's kind of like sympathy and empathy first, information later.

Scott has a good Home Page and the Heel Pain Book is clearly marked. Some posters just overlook it in their effort to communicate with people with foot problems.

Just my opinion! :)

Linda V on 4/19/05 at 08:55 (173399)

Hi,
When I first found this site and saw the link for heel pain book---I sort of ignored it as I thought it was a link to sell me something. Perhaps Scott could reword the front page with a link like...Free informative heel info for newcomers and others.....most people in bewildering pain don't want to read a 'book'...and yes, Kathy, I agree with you that most newcomers need a bit of encouragement and test us out...when they see we are 'real'...and if they truly want help...they read the book when advised to.

Tina H on 4/19/05 at 14:26 (173413)

I think there should be a link directly to the foot yoga exercises and the plantar fascia stretch without having to click on it in a post. This has been brought up before. Thanks, Tina

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/20/05 at 23:15 (173477)

Kathy:
I think that you are right on the mark -- very perceptive.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 4/21/05 at 12:04 (173498)

Maybe we can have a notice typed in large bold letters reading:

All advice given is free to those who have read the heel pain book. Everyone else is charged $50 by the professional who answered their specific question.

Yes...I am kidding of course. haha

Julie on 4/21/05 at 14:17 (173503)

It's not a bad idea, Richard (I know you're joking - sort of :)- about the charging). The main problem is with the Ask the Doctors board, where most questions of a medical nature are asked. Perhaps a heading on that board, saying 'Please read the heel pain book before asking questions of the doctors' would help the situation.

I agree with Kathy that most people come for human contact, support and friendship, but I also share Ed's concern about having to repeat the same basics over and over again.

Richard, C.Ped on 4/21/05 at 15:13 (173506)

Perhaps there could be a contest where one person could win a pair of power steps per year. Have their IP address logged when they visit the book.

John H on 4/22/05 at 11:54 (173537)

When you first log into Heelspurs.com it might make sense for Scott to increase the size of the fonts for the book so it makes it the first thing you view.

Julie on 4/23/05 at 02:55 (173572)

Now there's a good idea, John.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/25/05 at 20:11 (173728)

Julie:
It is certainly worth a try. Although I tend to lean toward Kathy's assessment of the reaching out for human contact. Increasing font size would be a good way to 'test' our ideas.
Ed

Julie on 4/26/05 at 02:53 (173745)

Yes, I lean towards Kathy's assessment too, but the one doesn't exclude the other, and I agree with your original thought that improving access to the heel pain book would save you and others from repetition of basics, as well as steering newcomers more quickly to that very useful resource.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/26/05 at 15:59 (173778)

Julie:
Considering the fact that we seem to have a concensus, our next move is to ask ScottR to see if he is willing to take action on our suggestions.
I beleive that typing ScottR, not Scottr, is the way to call his attention to such issues -- I have forgotten which one.
Ed

Julie on 4/27/05 at 02:26 (173817)

The best way is to email him calling his attention to the thread. You need to copy and paste the thread's url into the email.