Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neuromas - OTC solutions?

Posted by Lynn on 4/19/05 at 15:38 (173417)

Just wondering what sort of OTC solutions have helped others with the relief of neuroma pain. I had surgery for neuromas 8 years ago and have had problems since then. An MRI some time ago showed stump neuroma, scar tissue...basically, something is still there. I've had cortisone injections in the past and won't have more. I also refuse to have another surgery. I'm scheduled to see a local podriatrist recommended to me by three sources (a running store, another podiatrist and a homepath)...but can't get in for three months! I know he does the alcohol injections, but need to talk to him to see if I'd consider that as an option. In the meantime, I'm trying metarsal pads on top of my custom orthotics, but can't even figure out where they are supposed to go or how I know if they are placed properly. I'm also trying some homeopathic medicine...figuring it won't do any harm (but may not help). I'm sorry to ramble on, but any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Re: Neuromas - OTC solutions?

elliott on 4/19/05 at 15:53 (173418)

Lynn, sorry for your troubles. One thing that comes to mind is to get your custom orthotics re-layered with the met pads built in; that might work better than the rigging approach.

Darlene on 4/19/05 at 17:17 (173421)

I've been using OTC Birkenstock's for many years. Recently my pedorthist modified them by adding to the met pad and putting a soft cover on top to turn them into full length orthotics. Also, there is a special addition to the bottom for custom posting.

Dr. Z on 4/19/05 at 18:18 (173425)

I would add a met padding directly to your foot to displace the met bones . This may work better then orthosis with or without any adjustment

Lynn on 4/20/05 at 08:13 (173446)

Thanks. Could you explain this a little more, please? I've seen something on Footsmart.com, I think, that stays on your foot by slipping around one of your toes. Is this the kind of thing you're referring to? Thx

Lynn on 4/20/05 at 08:13 (173447)

Thanks. I keep hearing great things about Birks, but they are just way too wide for my feet.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/20/05 at 08:47 (173448)

These are custom made padding for podiatrists. The key to this is knowing where to place them. We draw the area where the pad needs to be placed with a Sharpie red marker.

HilaryG on 4/20/05 at 09:02 (173449)

Lynn- I too have narrow feet. Did you know that Birks come in Narrow sizes?

Lynn on 4/20/05 at 12:51 (173451)

Really? I don't think I knew that, despite going to a Birkenstock store. I'll have to go back and check it out. My feet aren't even that narrow, except for my heel. I will give it another try -- thanks!