Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by prodgers on 4/19/05 at 21:02 (173431)

I noticed about 2 weeks ago that there is a knot or cist at the bottom of my achilles tendon just above my heel. At first it did not bother me. But, I would stretch my foot and feel pain. Now, it bothers me when I am driving (resting my foot on the floor board while pressing the pedals), walking, and just sitting. It is not a harsh pain, but an annoying pain when I am walking or sitting still. But, when I stretch my foot up and down it is a bad pain. I have been trying to stretch my foot periodically b/c a year ago I severly sprained this ankle and had to wear a boot cast for 6 to 8 weeks. I am not sure if this pain in my heel is a result of the injury or something else. I asked my father about this and he suggested wearing comfortable tennis shoes with good heel support before going to the doctor. So, I bought some new shoes yesterday and the pain has not lessened. It is not hurting bad when I walk or just sitting, but the pain when I stretch is getting worse. I guess I am asking if this is a heel spur??? And should I consult a doctor???
Thank you!

Re: heel pain

Dr. Z on 4/19/05 at 22:25 (173437)

I would see a podiatrist to get a diagnosis and put yourself at ease. No bare feet. Do you limp or are you stiff in the morning when you get out of bed?

prodgers on 4/20/05 at 16:43 (173463)

I am stiff when I get out of bed which causes a little bit of limping in that ankle and heel. Thanks for your response.

prodgers on 5/04/05 at 16:43 (174264)

One more question....should I see a podiatrist or the othropaedic that treated me for the ankle injury??? I have already scheduled an appointment with the orthopaedic for Monday. But, I have called a podiatrist several times and left a message to make an appointment. I left on the message that I wasn't sure if I needed to see a Podiatrist or the orthopaedic and explained my syptoms. I haven't heard back from the podiatrist yet, but I need to know whether or not to cancel my appointment with the orthopaedic before Monday. Who should I see???