Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

major pain

Posted by ashleyj on 4/22/05 at 08:53 (173531)

I have been to a foot doctor who has diagnosed me with tendinitis in both ankles and issued me a pair of shoe inserts that were made from molds of my feet. I also was given a perscription to an anti inflamatory. However, I am still experiencing extreme pain in both feet. Walking has become more of a hassel than anything. I was wondering if there is some type of surgical procedure that can be done to correct this problem and if so, how much does this usually cost? Thanks

Re: major pain

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/22/05 at 20:31 (173555)

Hello Ashley,

Are you an athlete or are you very active? It is usually very rare to get a tendinitis in both ankles unless you are performing some repetitive activity. Before you look into any surgery go to a qualified doctor that will assess and diagnose your properly. The doctor should find out 'why' you have tendinitis in both ankles if that is the case. Tendinitis is rarely corrected with surgery. I don't believe that is an option.

Dr. Rob

john king on 4/25/05 at 19:01 (173724)

Dr. Rob

This is the kind of decision chronic pain and disability will drive you to if you don't have good information. When your feet hurt so bad you can no longer enjoy life you start to search for any measure to fix yourself. How many have had surgery that has made them worse or increased pain level? People who don't have foot pain just don't know how bad it can be and how no one really understands why you can't go for a walk around town and enjoy the sights because your feet are killing you.

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/25/05 at 22:19 (173735)

Dear John,

I honestly say to you that I do sympathsize with your plight. I have been suffering with back pain for 18 years. There isn't a day that goes by that my low back doesn't hurt. I've tried many different types of treatment with little to no relief. I know that doesn't sound good coming from a chiropractor but there aren't any 'good' chiropractors in my area. Well none that I would trust with my care. Last one I trusted herniated one of my discs. So I do know what it is like which makes me a better doctor because I am at both ends. Keep the faith..

Julie on 4/26/05 at 02:45 (173744)

Hi Rob

This is about your back pain - with which I sympathise! It's no joke having a sore back when you're working on other peole's bodies. I've recently had surgery for a badly ruptured L1-2 disc, the culmination of years of minor discomfort. (Doesn't sound good coming from a yoga teacher :) )The surgery was successful, and the experience forced me to acknowledge the underlying problem and the need to take my back in hand, and to improve the situation to avoid anything similar happening again. I've done a good deal of research and reading, much of which has been revelatory, and have also been working with an inspiring teacher of Pilates. Three months of this has made a significant difference already.

I would be surprised if you hadn't made all the discoveries I've made in the course of your search for help, but I'd be glad to share mine with you if you think it would be of any help. And I'm sure you will have useful things to tell me. Email me if you wish~: juliefried @ clara. co. uk (without spaces, of course).