Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TOPICAL IBUPROGEN GEL HOME MADE

Posted by rose on 4/22/05 at 14:35 (173545)

For anyone interested in preparing their own ibuprofen cocktail, here is a link with recipe. http://www.grouppekurosawa.com Does anyone have any other 'recipes' for home-made remedies ?

Re: TOPICAL IBUPROGEN GEL HOME MADE

PhysicsRon on 4/25/05 at 20:32 (173729)

Wow! Great detective work Rose! Do the commercial creams work? Seems like the plantar fascia is a tough skin to penetrate. Are we on to something here or not. Lets here some reports of those that tried.
PS... I had to search on 'ibuprofen' at the ref. home page to find the article.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/25/05 at 23:05 (173739)

Valid observations about penetrating the thick skin of the bottom of the heel. It should be applied there but also to the thin skin around the sides and back of the heel in order to get sufficient penetration.
Ed

John H on 4/26/05 at 11:06 (173761)

Scott probably still sells he Ibuporfen Gel on this site. Personally it felt good going on but provided no benefit for me. We have been talking about this gel for 8 or more years.

Ralph on 4/26/05 at 16:13 (173780)

That is a long time John. Do you know if anyone benefited from using the product?

john h on 4/26/05 at 17:50 (173789)

I do not recall anyone saying it cured them. I tried two tubes and did not notice anything.

Julie on 4/27/05 at 02:16 (173815)

I recall one or two people saying that they had a little temporary pain relief from application of ibuprofen gel, but no-one who was helped significantly by it. It did nothing for me.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/27/05 at 21:02 (173852)

I actually dispense it at my office. It tends to work better for areas covered with thin skin such as the back of the heel and the achilles.
I view it as an 'adjunctive' treatment, almost never a primary treatment.
Scott sells a version and Life Extension Foundation has a version that has 10% ibuprofen plus lidocaine. I have not noted much difference in effects between the two. The most common preps, for years were 5% ibuprofen gel but the newer preps such as Ibugel are 10% which is better.
Ibugel is a trademark of Dermal Laboratories; Hitchen, Herts, SG4 7QR, United Kingdom.

Topical delivery systems can work but in most cases, need some time. The active ingredient must be mixed with a lipid (fat) soluble base so that there is adequate penetration of the skin.

I remember a wonderful retired school teacher from the UK who moved to the Seattle area and opened up an in home day care where she ran it as an old fashioned one room school house. Her hands were severally knarled with osteoarthritis. She had very thin skin on her hands. I gave her Ibugel as a gift because my twin girls who went to her pre-school loved her and she told me that she got a lot of releif from it. Unfortunately she passed away last year after undergoing ill conceived surgery to try to straighten her spine as she was stooped over from arthritis, osteoporosis and kyphosis (curvature of the spine). My twin girls are now 6 and still speak fondly of her.
Ed