Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can ESWT wreck your heal?

Posted by RyanT on 4/23/05 at 17:12 (173590)

I had ESWT 2 days ago for plantar faciitis. My heel is now in a lot of pain, and I cannot bear weight on it. Is this a typical reponse to the treatment, or is something terribly wrong?

Re: Can ESWT wreck your heal?

Dr. Z on 4/23/05 at 19:13 (173600)

I have never seen this but I heard about this. ICE, Rest. Give your doctor a call.

Tina H on 4/23/05 at 20:14 (173606)

Ryan, See your doctor, but also just give it some time and stay off of your feet. I felt like this after ESWT but gradually it got better. From my lay persons point of view it's surprising to me that that more people don't experience this. After all you have to stop taking anti-inflammatories on top of the ESWT which introduces even more inflammation to an already painful heel. I heard an orthopod make an interesting remark the other day about ESWT. He said yes studies show it works but he thinks half the time he it works because it's painful and it gets people off of their feet which is what is needed to heal pf. For what it's worth I am much improved over my preESWT state, 10 months later. Good luck and keep coming back here for info or just a friendly ear. Tina

Dr. Z on 4/23/05 at 23:31 (173618)

I have heard this same statement with Pf release. It works cause you stay off your feet after the foot surgery. MOST of the time ESWT gives you some level of relief within weeks. I am surprised that the ortho doctor wouldn't have experienced this with his own ESWT patients.

Tina H on 4/24/05 at 05:53 (173625)

I think with me personally a lot of the extra pain was due to ending the Bextra which I was taking daily for my foot pain prior to ESWT. I know there is so much negative press now about these anti-inflammatories but the Bextra was very good for me at least at diminishing the pf pain. Stopping that and then having the ESWT meant that my life came to a screeching halt for a few weeks after ESWT. I guess what I'm learning now that I am dealing with this horrible condition in my daughter too, is that really getting off your feet for a good month early on is the key to curing this and keeping it from coming back involves the continuing use of all conservative measures. The sad thing is that it's nearly impossible for anyone to stay off of their feet for a month. Now that I think about it getting a cast is maybe a good idea because it says to the rest of the world there is something drastically wrong with my foot, I can't stand, etc. With no cast people think you are being lazy etc. I wish this had been offered to me, but none of the doctors I saw ever suggested it. I do think ESWT works but it's expensive, destroys cells, causes trauma to the tissue and a cast while it's not a walk in the park, doesn't have the disadvantages of ESWT.

Dr. Z on 4/24/05 at 11:07 (173641)

Tina H,
I do feel a cast can be very helpful however the type of cast is very important. First a slipper cast should be used. This type of cast doesn't go above the ankle. We don't want to restrict the motion at the ankle, causing another problem. There is a treatment survey that Scott R took that showed within this group a cast in not very effective.

elvis on 4/24/05 at 13:16 (173648)

A cast for me was a disaster. Everything else in my foot but my heel hurt when the cast came off. Then 3 days later my heel started hurting...pretty soon more than ever. I had a cast up to right below my knee and 2 weeks later it was changed to a Velcro boot because the bottom of the cast got soggy from sweating. I had the cast/boot on for 6 weeks.

RyanT on 4/24/05 at 19:00 (173664)

Tina, were you limping around 3-4 days after the procedure? Tylenol has taken the edge off the pain, but I still can hardly walk. This degree of discomfort and disability is way beyond the expectations my podiatrist set. I will contact him tomorrom.

Ralph on 4/24/05 at 20:38 (173668)

Ryan,
Is it possible that you have a stress fracture? I'd surely put that on my list of questions for the doc.

RyanT on 4/25/05 at 09:48 (173692)

Ralph, Good question. I definitely did not before the procedure, but the thought of a calcaneal stress fracture afterwards did cross my mind. I called the doctor, and he said all is normal and I should be walking fine in a few days. The pain has gone down a bit, so perhaps my heel just reacted more severey than is typical.

Tina H on 4/25/05 at 13:34 (173703)

Ryan I was limping before and most definately after ESWT. My pain really was worse after. I rember turning a corner maybe around 8-10 weeks when I was able to walk without the limp however I still had a lot of pain. Things didn't really improve until 12-16 weeks and my foot kept gradually getting better after that. Hang in there, we've seen a number of people here(myself included) who were 'freaked out' by having pain much worse after only to gradually heal with time. Besides myself, recently there was Lori (Lorinda) and she recently posted to say how well she was doing so, just try to be patient. It's not a quick fix. Good Luck
ps. I started PT around 8 weeks after ESWT and that seemed to help as well.

RyanT on 4/26/05 at 14:12 (173766)

Tina, thanks for the support. If I had known this 'treatment' would be so traumatic, I would have opted for surgery instead. Same recovery, better prospects...

Sharon Y on 4/26/05 at 16:40 (173783)

I am scheduled for procedure in the morning. Would you recommend it. I have had heel pain ( severe at times ) for over a year. Would appreciate your comments.

Tina H on 4/26/05 at 22:03 (173808)

Ryan- I think surgery is much more traumatic than ESWT and from what I've seen here, most people have a positive outcome with ESWT it just takes a while, but not as long as surgery recovery. There have been hundreds of surgery horror stories where people are left permanently disabled. Don't think that has happened with ESWT. It just that some people temporarily have more pain after ESWT and aren't expecting it because this isn't described in the literature that's typically given our prior. I would never have surgery! Keep us posted as to your recovery. Good Luck, Tina

Walkingirl on 4/29/05 at 22:06 (173956)

Ryan: I do not agree with the statement, 'you get better because you are off your feet for awhile, therefore you get better.' I had surgery last year not related to the foot. I was off of my feet for 6 weeks. Yes, my feet felt better, but the problem came right back after I started using my feet again!

Lynn F. on 5/01/05 at 00:13 (174005)

Ryan - My post ESWT experience was very similar to Tina's. My pain level soared after treatment. It took me 13 weeks to notice signifcant improvement. I also did PT starting at week 8. I found this site to be tremendously helpful during post treatment (when there were many days I second guessed my decision to have it done!) But I can now say it was well worth it. At 7 months, my PF is just an occasional nuisance and nothing like the agony I felt for months. Try to baby your foot as much as possible (walking around a grocery store was a guaranteed set back for me) be patient and hang in there.. it will get better.

Tina - I can totally relate to what you said about the cast. Though I never had one, I often wished I did just so people could visually see I had a problem! I can't tell you the dirty looks I received from people in the grocery store whenever I used the electronic cart!

Lori S. on 5/02/05 at 00:58 (174063)

Ryan,

After my eswt I was in more pain then prior to it. And it was really bad, but every week it improved. I am just past 6 months since my treatment and I feel 100% better. I can walk again,,,, more than an hour aday,,,,I dont live on pain meds anymore,,,,,,

When I had eswt, I took the time to be off my feet. I stretched, no nsaids, or ice for 6 weeks. Heat to help when it hurt really bad. I spent alot of time doing nothing. It took 3 years for my feet to get so bad,,,,, figured after the expensive treatment,, it was time to get off them much as possible and allow healing to occur.

Best wishes to you,,,, hang in there,,, around 6 weeks it started to improve,,, at 16 weeks i was off pain meds, 6 months ,,, 100%..... dont do more than your feet allow....REST!

Lorinda

dorim on 5/03/05 at 07:23 (174151)

I apologize if I've missed this on this thread, but I'm wondering which machine and type of energy everyone had. I have had one (of three) low energy Sonocur treatment and am hoping I made the right choice to do this vs. the higher energy OssaTron. Thank you!