Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Update: My ART treatment and taping.

Posted by Ted on 4/24/05 at 00:14 (173619)

It is hard to keep up with everyone, so I don't assume everyone remembers my status. I have had PF for 2 or 3 years. I have a pronation in my foot. I wore and am wearing orthodoxs. Currently since I have a standing job, my feet have swollen and I have started feeling heel pain for the first time.

Treatment:

I rested my feet for a couple of days and did the taping as described on this site. The Taping with my own massage seemed to make some of the facia not so tight. The inflammation was slow to decrease with icing and ibprofen.

Then I went on Friday to a certified ART doctor who performed ART on my feet. He hit spots I didn't think of and was somewhat better at going deeper and using his 'art.' It felt good right away, but as I went back to work the pain was back but different. It wasn't as intense, but it was still there with the inflammation. I know I have to be patient. It takes time to heal.

Right now sometimes my feet feel really good when I'm resting. Better than ever in 3 years, but then as I walk more and massage they don't feel too great. Can I over massage them? I don't know. Thats my update. Hope and pray everyone elses treatment is going well. God Bless.

Re: Update: My ART treatment and taping.

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/24/05 at 02:13 (173623)

Hi Ted,

I'm a certified ART provider as well and a patient of mine with PF led me to this site. This particular patient has proven to be very difficult to heal. I've used many ART protocols and also the Graston soft tissue mobilization technique. I've recently begun using a specific taping technique because she has not responded to the previous treatments. ART is a great technique but understand it can't cure every condition. PF usually responds in about 7-12 visits. My advice is let the doctor treat you for now and don't self treat with massage. Or maybe just ask him/her if it's okay to massage. Hope you get better soon.

Dr. Rob

john h on 4/24/05 at 08:29 (173627)

Ted: What kind or orthotics are you wearing. It may be that you should have a professional look at them to make sure they are not causing more problems than they are helping. What kind of shoes are your wearing?

Amy on 4/24/05 at 09:42 (173635)

Robert -

Do you feel ART has a place in treating tarsal tunnel syndrome - more specifically treatment of Baxter's nerve entrapment? Would appreciate your input, it is nice to have a ART practitioner posting on the board.
Amy

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/24/05 at 11:17 (173642)

Hi Amy,

Yes, it is a proven effecting treatment for tarsal tunnel syndrome. The nerve in the tunnel can be compromised by hypertrophy of the structures in the tunnel but most commonly a build up of scar tissue. The scar tissue can be created by improper movement patterns, abrupt trauma like an eversion ankle sprain, or repetitive movements. I've actually relieved this syndrome by treating the common flexor retinaculum which lies posterior to the tunnel in the foot. Many times the nerve will get hung up there and needs to be freed. I also treat the flexor tendons that run through the tunnel. I start at the origin and work my way down to the insertion. I also believe it is important to evaluate the biomechanics of your foot, ankle, knee, hip, and low back as well. I am not at my office and I apologize but I am not familiar with Baxter's nerve entrapment? Is it called something else? Which nerve is it and where is it being entrapped?

Dr. Rob

Amy on 4/24/05 at 13:42 (173649)

Here is a link that explains it better than I could -

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/podtd/displayArticleaa.cfm?articleID=article3160

Amy

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/24/05 at 20:17 (173666)

Amy, thank you for the link. I don't think the condition could have been explained any further than that. Undoubtedly ART can help you with the condition because it seems that the cause is entrapment by fibrotic tissue between the quadratus plantae and abductor hallucis. If you like to pursue the ART route you can go to the website, http://www.activerelease.com and then click on 'find a doctor.' Then type in your zip code and a certified ART will be located near your home. Good luck, and hope this helps.

Dr. Rob

Suzy D on 4/24/05 at 21:31 (173672)

I would like to have more input regarding this treatment for TTS. So far, I have have been dxed with either RSD, PN, TTS. PF or a combination of the four. For the past 11 years I have experienced chronic pain in my legs and feet. Lately the pain and various other sensations have spread to my toes and knees as well.I experience such sensations as burning, pins and needles, numbness,constriction, and deep aching pain. No test has shown anything conclusive and pain management has tried both alternative and conventional treatments with no success. I would appreciate any input at this point. I am trying to avoid the Spinal Cord Stimulator, which seems to be the only option left at this point; that, or a morphine drip. There must be some way to dx what is actually causing so much pain and hopefully there is a non invasive treatment left to try? S

John H on 4/25/05 at 08:58 (173690)

I know very little about ART. I did have electrical condution studies on my feet checking for TTS
The Doctor who conduted the test was an Orthopedic Surgeon. At the time I asked him about foot massages and he said I should be very wary because if I had TTS I could do some serious damage depending on where a nerve was being compressed. I did have a TTS release but the surgeon only found a small vericose vein inside the tarsal tunnel . I also had a small section of fascia (1/2' semi circle) over the Baxter Nerve removed to relieve any pressure it might be placing on the Baxter Nerve. (Baxter Procedure). TTS is a very tough diagnosis as electrical studies are not conclusive and ultimately you almost have to have the procedure to have someone lay some eyes on the problem.

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/26/05 at 20:46 (173799)

John, I'd like to give you a different perspective regarding TTS. I find it very similar to diagnosing a carpal tunnel syndrome. First of all, where is the nerve being entrapped?? Many doctors think the median nerve is being pinched in the carpal tunnel and many times it is not. Yes, an EMG would suggest that but if the nerve is entrapped anywhere is will give you a differential in action potential. So what I am trying to say is that maybe your tarsal tunnel isn't the cause of your pain. Maybe the nerve is being entrapped at the gastrocnemius, popliteus, lateral hamstring, piriformis, etc.. Maybe have someone qualified assess you and see if the inherent problem really is at the tarsal tunnel. Just a suggestion. Just trying to give you a different perspective. Hope it helps.