Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Been A Long Time - Now a Spinal Cord Stimulator

Posted by Chad H on 4/24/05 at 13:02 (173647)

I haven't posted in a long time, not since a few weeks after my most recent operation in October of 2003.

After 3 failed TTS releases and an additional surgery on my outer ankle, I am about out of options.

The pain hasn't changed, my range of motion has decreased to the point that I now walk with a limp (do I get sick of people asking me 'what'd ya do to your ankle?'.

I went to see a radiologist recommmended by my PPC, he specializes is pain management and RSD. He had be undergo a bone scan and has diagnosed me with RSD. I have read that bone scans do not yeild reliable RSD diagnoses, but he feels very confident that I have RSD.

He is sending me to a partner of his on Tuesday to discuss the possibility of a spinal cord stimulator.

I don't know that to think. I am willing to try anything. I like the fact that with a SCS, you get a trial period to see if it works.

I am somewhat excited about the prospects of getting some relieve. I also worry because much of my pain is now structural due to the atrophy in my muscles, tendons, and ligaments. I don't think the stim will help structural pain as much.

Thoughts, ideas recommendations?

Re: - Now a Spinal Cord Stimulator

Suzy D on 4/24/05 at 16:42 (173660)

Chad-if you decide on the SCS go to http://www.controlyourpain.com and check out the new Percision SCS from Bionics. It is a much smaller device and has several advantages over the older larger SCS. Yes, there is a trial period involved, but be sure to speak to some others who have had the SCS implanted. Many people had high hopes and were really disappointed in the amount of pain relief obtained. Best of luck to you. Hope this is what gives you some well deserved relief.