Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantars and Dealing With Employers

Posted by CiaraG on 4/24/05 at 22:02 (173674)

Has anyone ever had such bad plantars pain that it has prevented them from working and have they had problems with their employer believing this?. Have had a bad case of plantars for over 8 months and can't stand to be on my feet long. Have had three rounds of p.t. and recent neuroma surgery. When I asked to go home because I was in too much pain, employer was not understanding. Have been in healthcare 20 plus years. My feet my livelyhood! I have phantom pains in neuroma surgical site still. Help!

Re: Plantars and Dealing With Employers

wendy d on 4/24/05 at 23:06 (173680)

most employers do not care about any foot related injuries unless of course they can be proven to have happened at work (workman's comp)....trying to prove this is a waste of time because their hotshot lawyers will shoot ya down in a heartbeat. Plantars, heel spurs, tendonitus, etc.......YOU know you got them if you are on your feet all the time at work and especially if you've worked at that job for some time........HOWEVER, employers quite frankly don't care. Hang in there!!!!

John H on 4/25/05 at 08:34 (173688)

Not just employers Wendy. Most people treat foot problems like a cold. I long ago stopped talking about my feet to people other than those close to me and professionals.

Kathy G on 4/25/05 at 09:26 (173691)

Ciara,

I'm so sorry to hear that your employer is such a jerk. As others have said, no one really seems to take foot pain seriously until they experience it themselves. If it comes to it, you might get a letter from your doctor that states your limitations. It could help.

There is protection for workers and if Brian G sees your message, he may be able to help you, especially if you think your job is in jeopardy.

As for me, I was working part-time at a library when I had to leave my job and I realized afterward that, by law, they should have made some accommodations for me, trying some seating arrangement but they didn't even offer. In fact, they were all envious that I was 'retiring' at 52! DUH!

Good luck. The phantom pain in the neuroma site went away for my sister but it took a few months.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/25/05 at 16:15 (173710)

Ciara:
Does the doc you see beleive that your plantar fasciitis is work related?
Ed

CiaraG on 4/26/05 at 21:22 (173805)

No, this was a result of some badly made orthotics. I'm on second set with at least six redo's between the two sets. Doc has informed the IPA of this. Their has been a change in directors at the IPA. My doc has over 60 letters of complaints out to the director. I have filed a claim to the state agency that regulates this industry.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/27/05 at 21:10 (173854)

Ciara:
Sorry to hear about that. Managed care organizations often do not chose providers based on quality but other considerations. Ciara, would you be willing to let us know which state you live in?
Ed