Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascia surgery NOW pain is in side of foot

Posted by Karen on 4/26/05 at 18:07 (173790)

I had plantar fascia surgery in Dec 04. It seemed like it was went well. Now that I am on my feet full time again, I am having pain in the bottom of the heel and side (outside) of the foot. I am told it is pain in the lateral band of the fascia and it is due to pressure on it after the release of the fascia...Is this normal and is there any treatments or things that I can do before I see my doctor to relieve the pain ?

Re: Plantar Fascia surgery NOW pain is in side of foot

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/26/05 at 21:03 (173801)

Karen, my question to you is why would you have pressure on the lateral aspect of the plantar fascia after having decompression surgery?? Did they just decompress the medial border of the plantar fascia? I would have your doctor or another doctor evaluate the mechanics of your foot and ankle, and also the mechanics of the lower back and leg. Also check for musculature imbalances in the above described areas. I've always found that rolling a tennis ball under your foot can help with some of the pain. If that is too soft try a golf ball. Maybe you can have a practitioner tape your foot to relieve some of the pressure on your plantar fascia.

Re: This is where the good doctor is out of him element

SteveG on 4/27/05 at 19:26 (173835)

This 'lateral column syndrome' is a common complication from the surgery. The structure of your foot has become compromised, and the weight has shifted to to the peronals, ankle, and lateral two remaining two third of the plantar fascia. This can be a difficult problem to treat and you need to treat it quickly. This complication (and some of the treatments e.g., PT for cuboid manipulations and ultrasound) are discussed in the following thread

bbt.cgi?n=103165

Re: This is where the good doctor is out of him element

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/27/05 at 20:58 (173850)

Well thanks for having the common courtesy of calling me a 'good' doctor. I've never claimed that I am all knowing but since you've aired your opinion I will as well. So you are telling me that this is a common complication with surgery my next question is why have the surgery if it doesn't fix the problem?? Maybe you are saying that this is like treating high blood pressure with medication; they give you medication to lower your blood pressure but have to keep giving you other medication to counter the side effects from the primary medicine.

So the problem you are saying has shifted to the peroneals (correct spelling), ankle, and lateral two thirds of the plantar fascia. How do you know that the peroneals and maybe the abductors of the upper leg weren't contributing to the problem to begin with??? I am a firm believer that surgery is a last ditch effort to fix any problem. All treatments should be visited first before surgery.

I look forward to hearing from you again and next time try utilizing a spellcheck.

Re: Taking these one at a time

SteveG on 4/27/05 at 21:27 (173860)

A. So you are telling me that this is a common complication with surgery my next question is why have the surgery if it doesn't fix the problem??

It often does fix the problem; however, like other surgeries e.g., back surgery, it has potential and debilitating complications. That is why so many of us on the board try so hard to avoid it.

B. So the problem you are saying has shifted to the peroneals (correct spelling), ankle, and lateral two thirds of the plantar fascia. How do you know that the peroneals and maybe the abductors of the upper leg weren't contributing to the problem to begin with???

I don't. But I am sure that her lateral column pain stems from her surgery -- this complication and its treatments have been discussed many times on this board. And she needs to deal with it quickly.

As for the typos, don't act like Miss Grundy. You will find that typos, dangling modifiers, and sentence fragments are a common occurrence around here.

Re: Taking these one at a time

liboralis on 4/28/05 at 12:06 (173873)

Just an opinion here, cutting the medial 1 third of the fascia you can create a structure that is less sound e.g. the foot can pronate more. Could someone explain how increased pronation puts an increased load on the peroneal? I could understand an increase in the load on the opposite, post tib tendon but the peroneal????