Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The Ghost of Tarsal Tunnel

Posted by Tobyb on 4/26/05 at 18:09 (173791)

I have had extreme ankle pain for the last 8 months and was diagnosed by my podiatrist(2 months ago) with Tarsal Tunnel, but every test they have done has come back negative-CT Scan, MRI, Bone Scan, X-Ray, Nerve Test. Strangely enough I felt some relief after the nerve test but that has subsided back to extreme pain...Does anyone have any ideas or insight?

Re: The Ghost of Tarsal Tunnel

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/26/05 at 20:54 (173800)

Hi Toby,

Unfortunaely there is no test that says you have TTS. Nothing is definitive which leads to alot of second guessing. I find it interesting that you achieved some relief when you had an EMG administered?? That suggests to me that your nerve may be entrapped somewhere else. Perhaps somewhere in the foot, lower leg, upper leg. Maybe the neurologist can retest you and try to isolate the nerve in different locations say perhaps in the lower leg or upper leg? Do you have tight hamstrings? tight calf muscles? Maybe these muscles are tight potentially entrapping the nerve. Hope to hear from you soon.

Tobyb on 4/27/05 at 13:06 (173830)

Hello Dr. SanFilippo,

Yes I have very tight hamstings, but not tight calf muscles. I have a decent amount of swelling around the ankle bone on the inside and some discoloration from a previous injury 12years ago. My hamstings have been tight and requiring me to stretch them out every morning since I had knee surgery 6 years ago. I get a cramping sensation in the arch of my foot often, but mostly it feels like it is on fire or going to split open.If the nerve is entrapped in the upper or lower leg what are my options? Thank You very much for any and all your advice...

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/27/05 at 20:47 (173849)

If the nerve is entrapped in the upper or lower extremity I'd suggest find a practitioner that can locate it and release it. Soft tissue techniques can also be used to release the nerve in the tarsal tunnel. It's worth a try and I wish you luck

Tobyb on 4/28/05 at 12:37 (173875)

Thank You....Can you recommend anyone in Southern California? I have noticed a good amount of swelling behind my knee-where the hamstring connects to the calf, could this be causing the entrapment? I am now having more pain on the outside of my ankle than anywhere else, and am now getting confused, is this normal or should the pain be centralized....

I am sorry for all the questions, but you are the only answers that I am getting.....

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/28/05 at 19:22 (173893)

Toby, you can go to the ART website, http://www.activerelease.com . Then click on find a doctor, then type in your zip code. A list of doctors will come up closest to your zip code. Anything is possible so get yourself to the doctor and find out. Good luck.

Tobyb on 4/28/05 at 19:29 (173895)

Thank You Again..I just finished looking at the web site and found a doctor just down the street...