Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar

Posted by shrub on 4/26/05 at 22:35 (173810)

I'm a triathlete. I've been suffering for close to a year. I've done the stretching, physical therapy, ART, rest, night split, custom orthotics, and 4 injections. I've been gimping around so much now my ankle is almost as sore as my heel. I had surgery in the late 80's on my other foot for the same problem and although a slow recovery due to the extreme case, I can't figure out why nobody wants to fix with surgery. The lastest thing is let's cast it and put you crutches for 4 weeks. I've been to 5 doctors and nobody wants to use a knife. There seems to be urgency to fix it. Does anybody have better solutions than I've received from my doctors.

Re: Plantar

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/27/05 at 08:37 (173821)

Shrub:

I'm sorry to hear that nothing has helped you. Unfortunately PF can be a tricky condition to heal. I am an ART practitioner and I've had my share of difficult cases. I currently have a difficult case that hasn't responded to active release, graston soft tissue mobilizaton, manipulation/mobilization of the foot, ankle, and hip. My latest attempt at helping her has been a specific taping method, utilizing the McConnel and Kinesio taping methods. This taping method allows the plantar fascia to heal without the constant pulling placed on it daily. I've used it on one difficult patient before and it worked. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Tina H on 4/27/05 at 09:31 (173823)

Dr. Sanfilippo- Where can I find some more info on this method specifically for PF? Searching I found some information but dealing with knee problems. My 14 year old daughter has bad pf in both feet. The worst foot is going to be casted next week and she will be using crutches. I've been worried about the extra strain on the other foot and plan to ask her doctor about taping and would like to know more about these methods prior to the visit. Thank you so very much, Tina H

john king on 4/27/05 at 12:52 (173829)

Shrub

Be glad they don't take a knife to you since the outcomes can range from good to awful. How about not being able to stand in line for ten minutes without pain or walk three blocks?

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/27/05 at 20:44 (173847)

Hi there Tina:

As far as finding out more information about ART, you can go the website 'www.activerelease.com' There you will find general information about the technique and most importantly find out if there is a certified doctor in your area. As for the specific taping method I was taught to utilize, it is a combination of the McConnel method and Kinesio taping method. I've been taking classes over the last year or so for my Diplomate in sports medicine and along the way we were taught these methods. We also utilize Tim Brown's work but he isn't published at all. He is constantly changing his methods so that is one of the reasons why he doesn't publish. Many times taping is learned by trial and error and it helps to have a good grasp of the anatomical part you are taping. The taping I utilize is a functional taping method which is based on the theory that less is more. I've searched the web many times to get information on these methods but the only one available is Kinesio taping. It is a very good method to follow so I suggest getting some information on that method. Hope your daughter feels better soon.

Tina H on 4/28/05 at 18:34 (173885)

Thanks Dr. Sanflippo- It's nice of you to take the time to explain this to me. I've long thought taping is a good option, but it's hard to just look at a diagram and then do it correctly. My daughter has stopped all of her activities except just going to school and the pf just keeps getting worse. This taping sounds like something to add to what we are already doing. I did print out a list of doctors shown on the ART site and took it to the foot orthopod who looked at my daughter last week but didn't have the nerve to ask him because I already bombarded him with a million questions and I was getting the 'this mother thinks she knows everything and is telling me how to do my job vibe' so I hesitated to bring that up at the very first meeting. I will do so at a later date. I'll go with his suggestions first, as the casting sounds reasonable. Thank you again, Tina H

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/28/05 at 18:57 (173886)

Hi Dr. Rob,
In podiatry we used what is called Low Dye strapping . It is named after Dr. Ralph Dye. He is a podiatrist from the 1950's, some time ago.
His taping is just brilliant. It will control abnormal pronation and relieve almost all pain in most feet. It will also reduce lower extremity knee, hip and lower back pain. I just had a patient that was being treated by chiropractic, medical, and orthopedics. They were giving her epidurals. Her diagnosis was spinal stenosis. I placed the taping on her and she is pain free for the first time in six months. I think the low dye may really be helpful in combination with ART
Hey lets make a deal . Low dye taping for some ART demo's When can I come to your office.

Dr. Z

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/28/05 at 19:20 (173892)

Hi Dr. Zuckerman,

I am not familiar with that taping method but it sure sounds awesome. I am always willing to learn new techniques and if the method does what you say it does I am definitely game. You have yourself a deal! Thank you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/28/05 at 19:31 (173897)

Hi

E-mail me at (email removed). I will give you my cell phone number and we can talk . Thanks