Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

medicare coverage for ESWT

Posted by Pati on 4/27/05 at 20:45 (173848)

Does anyone have experience with Medicare paying for ESWT for lateral epicodylitis? Thanks

Re: medicare coverage for ESWT

Dr. Z on 4/27/05 at 21:23 (173858)

This depends on the area of the country . What area of the country are we talking about.

Pati on 4/28/05 at 16:16 (173881)

I live in Jackson,Wy where we have some very good orthopedists.I was hoping to to it here. Thanks much

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/28/05 at 17:54 (173882)

I would call your Local medicare carrier. The CPT code is 0020T. Tell them its ESWT or shockwave treatment. You may have a problem making them understanding what you are talking about. If you know the name of your carrier for medicare in your region you can look this up on their web site

Pati on 4/28/05 at 18:04 (173883)

Dr.Z, Thanks much,I will do that

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/28/05 at 19:39 (173899)

Hi Pati,

Sorry to hear that you are suffering with lateral epicondylitis. Here in New York I understand that most insurances won't cover that treatment; anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I've tried calling a podiatric center that performs it and he said they didn't cover it and it would cost $3,300.

Back to your arm pain, I've successfully treated many tennis elbow syndromes with my techniques. How did your tennis elbow occur? I will ask the obvious question, do you play tennis? If not, do you perform a repetitive activity/job that would cause stress to your elbow? I've spoken about this before but I would have your upper extremity evaluated. I'd start with the shoulders, notice if they are rounded. Notice the movement of your shoulder; is it limited? Then evaluate the elbow joint for movement, then palpate the local muscles and nerves to see if the pain can be reproduced. Trying to give you another alternative if you chose to investigate it. Good luck and feel better.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/05 at 12:12 (173977)

Rob:
Lateral epicondyitis responds well to low energy ESWT so the Canadian option exists. Medial epicondylitis does not respond well to ESWT.

Hopefully Pati will keep us posted on which technique she choses and how well it worked for her.
Ed

Dr. Z on 4/30/05 at 12:43 (173986)

Ed

Another ( yes one more ) is high energy ESWT with the Dornier. The article by Dr. Furia confirms a very effective result with a high energy protocol with the dornier.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/05 at 15:12 (173993)

David:
Thank you and readers should keep in mind that the Dornier unit can be utilized to supply multiple low energy treatments so that will be yet another option.
Ed