Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

advice for a neurology apt.

Posted by Sarah on 4/28/05 at 19:02 (173888)

I am going to the neuro next week for the nerve conduction tests and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. Anything specific I should ask or be aware of?
Thanks

Re: advice for a neurology apt.

Tobyb on 4/28/05 at 19:12 (173891)

Good Luck....I just had one on the 14th of April, it is not the most pleasant experience. I was not aware that they were going to stick a needle into my calf muscle,arch and below the pinky toe-that was definately the worst part.

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 4/28/05 at 19:30 (173896)

I agree with what Toby said about having them stick needles in you and jolt you with electricity. I was talking with an orthopedic surgeon the other day and I asked him why can't they perform a Nerve Conduction Velocity test as opposed to an EMG. He said the EMG is alot more specific. And when is comes to diagnosing TTS you need as much specificity as possible. All the best Sarah.

Robert B. on 4/29/05 at 19:18 (173946)

I had an EMG and NCV, it isn't really that bad. The needles didn't hurt as much as a flu shot and are very small. The shock felt worst to me, probably because the nuero wasn't getting a signal so he increased the voltage. Don't be afraid of test or to ask the Dr. what he is doing, most are very happy to talk to you.

lara on 4/30/05 at 12:17 (173979)

I agree wtih Robert - it wasn't that bad. Not a peak experience. For me it was sort of like a visit to the dentist. Not something I look forward too -but not that bad worth it.

Rachel G on 4/30/05 at 20:39 (174003)

When I had mine done in December it was awful. I didn't know what they were going to do to me until just before he started sticking me all over the bottom of my feet and up my calves almost to my knee. It was really quite painful to me.

Needles in the bottom of your feet.

How does that even just sound? I am glad that I didn't know what was going to happen before going or else I probably would have freaked out (anxiety). I'm really glad that my mom was there and I got to hold her hand. Every time the Dr. would 'shock' me or 'stab' me with the needles I would cringe and sometimes even moan and he would always say 'sorry' that got very tiresome and annoying.

In the long run I am very glad that I had the tests done, because that was the only way I was able to find out what was definatly wrong with me. That was after 5 months of pain and misdiagnosis and uncertianty. I can tell you that my anxiety level dropped considerable after that appointment. I finally had a diagnosis. TTS in both feet.

Kris on 5/01/05 at 05:47 (174008)

Take some pain medicine if you have some, and get someone else to drive you. My sister also said that she takes muscle relaxers and it helps - but I'd ask the neurologist about that. I've never done that.

I hear that it hurts more the worse your nerves are. Some people it does not bother at all, its just a twitch. It was bad for me but my tests results came back with severe neuropathy in all the nerves in my foot.

I didn't have any needles stuck in me.

Also, wear very loose pants so you can just pull them up.

Timron on 5/03/05 at 13:29 (174183)

I had a EMG done a few months ago. It is painful. Be prepared for some stinging and jolts. I didn't need a ride home, but it isn't a bad idea to have one just in case. Good Luck!

messed up foot on 5/05/05 at 19:05 (174333)

Hey - it's good to see you back among the living! How did your surgery go?