Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recovery of Morton's Neuroma Surgery

Posted by cathie w on 4/28/05 at 19:44 (173900)

Maybe a stupid question but when one has a morton's neuroma surgery, why do some doctors send their patients home with crutches telling them no weight bearing for 2 weeks on that foot while other doctors only tell their patients minimal walking and do not send them home with any crutches? Can walking even if it is minimal damage the ball of your foot or do other damage?

I just had my 2nd morton's neuroma surgery last Friday to fix what wasn't done 6 months ago when I had my 1st surgery. With my 1st surgery that doctor sent me home with instructions of minimal walking and did not give me crutches. With my 2nd surgery, my new doctor sent me home with crutches and instructions of no weight bearing for 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, I live in a 3rd floor apartment without an elevator and find that though I have become a temporary couch potatoe, one still must move around the apartment sometimes and also must go out on errands occassionally. The bad thing is I find I do not have the upper body strength to use the crutches. I try to keep my walking to a minimal and keep the weight towards the heel and big toe of the foot but still I am placing weight at the sight. Am I doing damage to the fatty pad of the ball of the foot or other unsean damage? I don't want to screw up my surgery. I already have a huge loss of fatty pad from all the cortozone shots my 1st doctor gave me (6 in less then a year).

Re: Recovery of Morton's Neuroma Surgery

Ed Davis. DPM on 5/02/05 at 17:48 (174128)

cathie:
Crutch use is uncommon after the procedure. Crutches are used mainly when the surgeon uses a plantar approach to keep the incision from spreading apart, not with a dorsal (top) approach Six cortisone shots in one spot is a bit too much.
Ed