Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT for Achillis Tendonitis and heel spurs

Posted by David D. on 4/29/05 at 22:23 (173957)

I've had heel pain for the past 15 years and have gone to several podiatrists and a couple of orthapedic surgeons. I've gotten a couple of different diagnosises, but I believe that Achillis Tendonitis is probably the culpret. My pain is not terrible if I'm just doing normal walking etc. but basketball, tennis, softball or anything that requires a quick motion will have me limping no matter how long I've layed off. The pain is on the back of the heel kind of off to the side. The X-rays show what apparently are world class bone spurs. A couple of years ago I read Heelspurs.com postings everyday hoping to get a secure enough feeling to invest a few thousand dollars on a 50 - 50 chance. Last year there seemed to be a lot of bickering and I was left more confused than anything else. I stopped looking in and just gave up, however just passing through I've noticed a much more hopeful tone. Anyway is there hope for my condition and will I ever play basketball again. Sorry to ramble. Thanks David D.

Re: ESWT for Achillis Tendonitis and heel spurs

Peggy S on 4/30/05 at 09:32 (173965)

I have had pain for 10 years. 4 doctors (orthos and podiatrists), night braces, orthodics, stretches, ice packs, orthopediac shoes..you name it..I have done it. I also am following the progress of individuals that are trying ESTW... Will I ever be able to walk for exercise every again? My pain goes away if I become a total couch potato...and I am not willing to do that! I changed my profession so that I now sit all day...but I want to be able to go for a 30 minute walk without having to soak my feet in ice water and suffer for weeks after that. Thank you to anyone willing to post...its good to know I am not alone.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/05 at 12:13 (173978)

I have had better results with achilles tendonitis than on plantar fasciitis with ESWT.

Dr. Z on 4/30/05 at 14:32 (173990)

I have a very similiar patient that had ESWT due to lack of his ability to play basketball and run couldn't without pain. Today post one year plus he is pain free and doing all acitivies . He is 50 years old.

David D. on 4/30/05 at 16:40 (174000)

Wow DrZ, It sounds wonderful. I'm 46 years old and every part of my body works great except for my Achilles Heel so to speak. I still feel like I could play college basketball but for the pain. Thanks and I will go to my Pod. monday and try to get the treatment in the works.

Walkingirl on 5/05/05 at 04:19 (174289)

Hi Peggy:

I have lived with heel pain for 8 1/2 years. I have found that swimmng laps is the best exercise I can do. It is good for your all around well-being.

I bought a few instructional books on swimming. The one I liked the best is called 'The Essential Swimmer' by Steve Tarpinian. It cost $12.95. I also went through quite a few swim suits until I bought a Speedo Clorine Resisitent Swim Suit. The other suits wore out very quickly (within 2 months) The Speedo has been in service for 2 years and still going strong.

David D. on 5/05/05 at 23:20 (174356)

Thanks walkingirl, or swimmingirl, whichever you prefer. I've never been much of a swimmer but if its the best I can do I;m game.

P.S. your my favorite poster

Walkingirl on 5/07/05 at 09:37 (174434)

David: Swimming has been a life saver for me. I wished I would have thought about it a lot sooner. I have had PF for 8 1/2 years. I kept thinking I would get better, but I didn't. I went through a couple of years where I just sat down, lost strength, gained a lot of weight, and became depressed. Then my mother died in a car accident. It was a wakeup call for me to start living again. It took awhile for me to be able to consistently swim the laps, but it is now paying off. Even though I am still overweight, I have body strength again, and I have a better outlook on life. Swimming is not a boring sport going back and forth, back and forth. There are a lot of differnt styles to learn, and the mind is always working on technique, technique, technique. The better your technique is, the faster you swim. The county owned sports center, in SLC, is near the university. A person can hire an experienched college student for $15 an 1/2 hour lessons. Personally, I have relied upon the books I have read, talked and watched other swimmers, etc. Don't mind all the other beautiful bodies there. They are just people, and most people are nice. You are there to gain flexablility and strength...not win a beauty pagent.

If swimming is not your forte, try bike riding. Be care at first to not stretch your calfs and archilles too much. Do flat surfaces at first. I had EWST Thursday, April 28th. I saw my doctor yesterday. He said I can start riding the bike Monday, May 9th. He indicated that I should keep the center of my foot on the bike pedel. If you search this site, you may find someone's personal experience regarding PF and riding a bike.

Don't let PF ruin your life. Physical well-being is the staff of life just as much as food and water.

Fellow PF Sufferer.

Re: Swimming as an exercise

Suzy D on 5/11/05 at 09:49 (174705)

Agreed, swimming has allowed me to stay in pretty good shape despite the pain of PN,or whatever I really have going on in my feet. I sure miss the long hikes, but life doesn't always work out the way we want it to. No, I have never found lap swimming boring either. Keep swimming and hope you can get some pain relief as well.