Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

on washing machines, new cars, and Julie's birthday...

Posted by Suzanne D. on 5/01/05 at 08:14 (174012)

Kathy, I am sorry your new front-loading machine did not prove satisfactory, but I'm glad you were able to trade it in for a new washer and dryer! You brought up an interesting topic. One of my earliest memories is of my mother getting a new automatic washer. She kept the old wringer model for big things that she thought might not do so well in the new washer. She soon discovered that the automatic could handle anything she was washing, so in time she got rid of the wringer washer. I remember being strictly forbidden to come into the utility room when she was using the wringer as she felt it would be dangerous to have little hands nearby.

My first car (not new) was a green Volkswagon bug in 1970. The most special thing about that little car was the fact that Daddy bought a kit of white racing stripes to place along the sides of the car. He thought that would make it seem 'sportier', he said, and I think he wanted to make it seem nicer since it was used. I remember spending all one Sunday afternoon helping him get the stripes on just right. It was completely his idea, and I still think it was a nice gesture. I imagine I might have looked rather silly in a bug with stripes, but it was the thought that counted!

Julie, I read on another board here that you recently celebrated your 70th birthday, and I want to send my belated but heartfelt best wishes to you! May the coming year be your best yet.

Suzanne :)

Re: on washing machines, new cars, and Julie's birthday...

Linda V on 5/01/05 at 13:27 (174027)

I always wanted one of those cute little VW bugs..but my Dad REFUSED to let me buy one. He said if I was going to be killed in a car accident, it would be by my own engine and not someone elses. Well, I haven't been in an accident for over 30 years..knock on wood...so maybe I will indulge myself when I am 60 and buy one and do it up 'Flower Power' style.

Suzanne D. on 5/01/05 at 13:40 (174030)

I understand what your dad was saying. And my father always talked a great deal about safety and didn't like compact cars when they came out. But I think the money and gas mileage concerns finally led him to select 'the bug' for me.

When my daughter was in a wreck last spring (A young girl pulled out right in front of her), she was driving a Toyota Camry. I was thankful for the air bag and the safety features of the vehicle. She escaped with 'only' 3 broken toes (not good a week before her high school graduation and her final ballet recital), and I know it could have been much worse.

Just this past week, two teens were killed about 1/4 mile from my house as they pulled out of a side road right into a tractor trailor going down the highway. It was really sad.

Didn't mean to get despondent here - wrecks have just been on my mind a great deal in the past few days.

Perhaps someday you will have your VW bug!

Kathy G on 5/02/05 at 08:31 (174073)

My sister bought a 1966 VW bug, new, and drove it cross country, in 1968, from California to New Hampshire. My mother was in a tizzy. My father was fine with the idea. That car was fantastic! When her husband got home from Vietnam, they brought it over in Hawaii where he was stationed. It killed them to sell it when he left active duty but by then it had so many miles on it that they coudln't rationalize shipping it back to the states.

I just loved the car!