Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help Quick!!!!

Posted by L.G. on 5/01/05 at 14:38 (174037)

Can someone please tell me what Residual Damage is? I had carpal tunnel release surgery in 2002 & 2003 and now I have residual damage and apparently need it again. My health is poor and I am on a lot of meds, coumadin, neurontin, glucophage, nitro when needed, HBP, to name some and I also have chronic severe asthma. What are the risks? I see my Orthopedic Surgeon tomorrow again, he did the surgery before. Please help me.

Re: Help Quick!!!!

Dr. Z on 5/01/05 at 15:21 (174038)

Why so many repeat surgeries . If it is determined that you need surgery you will have to go under ONLY a spinal anethesia. You will need a very complete history and physical examination See what your ortho has to say. Surgery does carry the risks of blood clot, infection and continous pain

john king on 5/01/05 at 16:59 (174042)

Just be sure your surgeon knows about all your meds and medical history. He can evaluate if it is worth the risk. I think most who get CTS release are out cold because they don't want you wriggling around. I had wrist surgery and I was out for over 90 minutes. When I woke up I got a nice shot of extra morphine.

Dr. Z on 5/01/05 at 17:18 (174047)

Actually most of the time the patietn is awake with a regional type block and not any form of general anesthesia. I doubt if this patient will be bel to undergo any form of general anesthesia.

L.G. on 5/01/05 at 17:44 (174050)

I might add that I have TIA's (Ministrokes) and 2 strokes. Now what?

L.G. on 5/02/05 at 11:02 (174087)

Thanks for all of your input. The doctor won't do the CTS release again. Keep up the good work you do for others.