Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT/conditions and treatment

Posted by wilnermedical.com on 5/02/05 at 10:39 (174078)

ESWT is a treatment that has been available outside the United states for over a decade and has been FDA approved for plantar fasciitis (heel spurs) for more than a year now. ESWT is a treatment that has grown out of the technology used to treat kidney stones successfully for decades in this country. The treatment uses any one of three FDA approved machines, two of which are high energy and one which is low energy. The treatments can be used to avoid the need for surgery in the treatment of a variety of conditions including plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, tennis elbow, shoulder conditions and certain types of knee pain. The treatments usually recquire a single treatment and can be performed with local anesthetics with essentially no recovery period allowing the patient to return to their normal activities the same day. Success rates, in the hands of an experienced practitioner can exceed 85% and can be seen within several weeks after treatment.For more visit WILNERMEDICAL.COM

Re: ESWT/conditions and treatment

Walkingirl on 5/02/05 at 10:45 (174083)

Specifically, what brand name machines are hi energy vs. low energy?

elliott on 5/02/05 at 11:37 (174090)

To Wilner Medical:

Hi! Hope you'll continue to participate and illuminate us on ESWT.

You're new, so I thought I'd point out that the custom here is not to post ads on every board, since it looks a bit overbearing and the boards get a bit too cluttered. No harm done. Since it's ESWT you're talking about, it sounds to me like the ESWT board is the most appropriate place to have this discussion; those interested will see it. A few comments about your web site:

1. I was hoping your site would give criteria for why a particular patient would select one machine over another. If it's just patient preference, it would be nice if the site would say that.

2. It would be nice if the spelling for all machines on your web site were correct. It's Sonocur, not Sonicur.

3. Your site says,

'Based on our own research, over 80% of Wilner Medical patients who have undergone a course of electro-shockwave treatment have experienced a significant reduction in pain and/or an improvement in mobility and function.'

That statement may be of high interest to us. It would be nice to know at what time period (3 months? one year? unlimited?) the 80% refers; as many seasoned veterans here know, the longer the time period, the less significant the result. Furthermore, it would be nice if you defined 'significant'. And then there's the 'and/or' further eroding the the significance of the overall significance. And any improvement at all in mobility and function may not be that significant, and possibly less so depending on the heretofore unstated time period. If you'd like to elaborate on the statement, that would be most appreciated. Thanks. And welcome to heelspurs.

Ralph on 5/02/05 at 13:57 (174110)

I thought you were joking about the spelling, but your not. After reading the income potiential suggest by the company that got the letter I can see why everyone wants a piece of this pie.

If I remember correctly the company that got the letter were selling doctors the idea that they would be treating at least one patient per day x the cost of treatment as an increase in their income.

This could result in many more individual doctors or ESWT providers coming to this site to advertise.

Ed Davis. DPM on 5/02/05 at 17:38 (174124)

Dr. Wilner:
I think that if you stick around and take an active role in discussions and answer questions you will find a warmer response from posters. Most posters come here for information so it is best to separate marketing efforts from informational type discussions. If you wish, the site owner does sell add space and that is fine. But I would keep posts as informative as possible and avoid placing posts that appear to be adds on the boards themselves.

Scott R - moderator on 5/02/05 at 17:45 (174127)

Dear Wilnermedical,
We have an unwritten policy that there should be very limited advertising in the message boards. By posting the same message to several boards, you have reached your allowable limit of advertising for the next 6 months. You may post responses to those who reply to your posts, and you may participate in the message boards by contributing thoughtful and useful information, but do not post anymore advertisments until november 2, 2005. Also, please be aware that posting here opens your company up for critical review. If you make claims here, you may find it necessary to defend those claims, and your success or failure at defending those claims may show up on internet searches on your company name for many years.

Scott Roberts
heelspurs.com LLC

Liboralis on 5/02/05 at 18:07 (174129)

Well done Scott

Ralph on 5/03/05 at 07:36 (174152)

I agree about the advertising, but I wonder how a newcomer is suppose to know about an unwritten policy?

liboralis on 5/03/05 at 11:02 (174169)

Maybe if they would read the site and not do a hit n run spam promo to all the boards???

Usually most business folks know what is and is not a good marketing approach. Medical treatment is not like the lowest rate mortgage or ink cartridges so imho it is a bit crass to spam n scram so if a rep from that company doesnt stick around to answer questions then this site and its users are getting used

Ralph on 5/03/05 at 11:49 (174173)

Personally I think from everything that P.F. suffers end up trying we are all getting used to some extent. I know I feel that way everytime I look into the bag of goods stashed in my closet. Stuff I purchased and couldn't use.

Don't get me wrong I hate the advertisments just for advertisement sake, but I don't know how anyone of us would know an unwritten policy or rule if we just came to the board. I might be mistaken but I never saw this guys ads before, but he sure knew how to plaster the site with them.

It was sort of a hit and run, but that won't get him customers. He must stay and post like the rest of the doctors here.

Scott R on 5/03/05 at 18:02 (174196)

Very limited advertising is an undocumented rule because it happens very rarely and when it does happen, it's usually from companies that would ignore any written rules anyway.

The rules have to be written above the submit button so that everyone has an easy chance to read the rules before posting. I want to keep that text as short as possible so that people actually read it and so that the important points are remembered. Those important points are this: 1) stay on topic and 2) be nice

I could argue that Wilnermedical ignored both of those documented rules, so adding any more rules would only keep other people from concentrating on the other two rules.

wilnermedical.com on 5/04/05 at 23:24 (174279)

There are two high energy machines that are currenlty FDA approved for ESWT in this country and they are : The OSSATRON which recquires conscious sedation(anesthesia), and the Dornier EPOS which recquires local anesthesia.
The only low energy machine available is the Siemens SONOCUR which is used without anesthesia but can be painful and recquires three sessions at least one week apart.

Dr. Z on 5/05/05 at 00:34 (174280)

There are now three high energy ESWT machines out there.