Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what type of anethesia(spelled?)

Posted by Jane on 5/03/05 at 12:58 (174177)

What type of anesthic ( spelled?) is usually used for ESWT? I have my choice of being completely 'out' or else injections for localized pain relief. Wondered which one is better?

Re: what type of anethesia(spelled?)

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/03/05 at 14:17 (174187)


We use and prefer regional local anesthetic. This is where you block the foot at the level of the ankle. This will numb all of the plantar fascia area that the ESWT will come in contact with . If you are concerned about any pain from the injection they can give you a sedative when blocking only and then you are awake.during the procedure. There are many methods however GENERAL ANESTHESIA is not perferred or used by our group of doctors. Feel free to ask any questions