Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Masai Barefoot Technology

Posted by Hazel on 5/03/05 at 19:01 (174199)

I tried on a pair of these ($250.00) shoes today and thought it was worth posting their website on this board http://www.swissmasaius.com/

The shoes are designed so you put your foot down in the center when you walk rather than on your heel. The soles are thick and I definitely felt clumsy wearing them but I imagine I could get used to it. My brother has back problems and swears by these shoes; says they've corrected his posture and that he feels better overall for wearing them. $250.00 is a big commitment for shoes but I thought I'd pass this info along and see if anyone else has tried or owns a pair of these shoes.

Re: Masai Barefoot Technology

Liboralis on 5/06/05 at 22:47 (174421)

it is bs marketing. they work for some but bad for others. the fact that some sell them and claim the provide wt loss, thats why they suc and are charlatans

Julie on 5/07/05 at 01:50 (174426)

Hazel

Thanks for your post. There was a lengthy discussion about the MBT shoes a couple of years ago, which you could probably find using the search facility. No-one had tried them, but there was quite a lot of interest in them (some were doubtful about the suitability of their negative heel for someone with PF).

I haven't tried them, but my osteopath has a pair and says they are excellent, once you get used to them.

Were you instructed by a qualified fitter in how to walk in them? I gathered from the previous discussion that this is necessary.

I hope that when you've worn them for awhile you'll post your experience with them.

Re: Masai Barefoot Technology -oops

Julie on 5/07/05 at 01:52 (174427)

Sorry, Hazel: I see you didn't buy a pair, just tried them on. Scrub my final sentence.

Julie on 5/07/05 at 01:53 (174428)

Liboralis, if you genuinely know something about MBT shoes, why not tell us in detail (minus the insults, please).

Liboralis on 5/07/05 at 18:02 (174453)

They have a rocker bottom like many shoes. They claim they do some special thing to your posture and there is a place claiming they make you lose weight from their design. Depending on ones alignment such as anterior or posterior pelvic tilt for example they may help some but hurt others. If you recall the old earth shoes. They had a lower heel and a thicker forefoot. They claimed it exercised your legs which in a way it could.

If you have tight gastroc it would exert a rather strong traction pull on them. Some folks loved them but some folks got some major pain in the calfs or back

Hazel on 5/08/05 at 12:22 (174490)

Well, I'm not interested in losing weight through wearing a certain pair of shoes. The fact that 'some folks loved them' is encouraging. I'll be seeing my brother today and get his opinion (he told my dad they help his lower back).

When I wore them in the store, I felt no pain or pressure in my heel (where my PF is) and the only reason I didn't buy them was because I'd just spent over $300.00 on 3 pairs of NB 925s (I recommend these highly. They keep my foot from 'rolling out' and stabalize it). Also, the MBT's are goofy looking and require me to learn a new way of walking.

I like your second response much better than the dismissive former one, btw!

Hazel

Liboralis on 5/08/05 at 19:55 (174534)

925 NB is a great shoe and they come in about 4 different colors AND they will make you lose weight. Wear them to walk 4 miles a day, dont eat after 6pm and drink 2 gallons of water per day

LeighS on 7/09/05 at 09:40 (178090)

I tried them and did not like them. But they may work for some people. I also think you have to be willing to invest the time to follow the lesson DVD and learn exactly how to walk in them.

Re: Masai Barefoot Technology -oops

HAMSandwich on 9/14/05 at 09:02 (182886)

Emm... I just started researching them and am thinking of getting a pair. My only thought is that I think it would make me go walking more (I'll definately be motivated to see if they work, since they cost $300 bucks) - in turn make me loose weight, like it claims it could help with. I walk funny too.... not noticablly but if I look at an older shoe, the outter edge of the shoes will be more worn than the inside... (I put pressure on the outside of my feet when I walk) so hoping this might correct that. I'm going to go to a store to get some advise and try a pair on this week.