Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT success stories

Posted by elliott on 5/04/05 at 10:53 (174226)

Pauline used to remark that she observed a repeating pattern on these boards: after ESWT gets battered, either in discussions or from several posters who had less than stellar results, this was often shortly followed by a spate of ESWT success stories, often by first-time posters. Whether there is such a pattern or not, I for one am suspicious of first-time posters who come on just to tell us they were a success.

Scott R, I was wondering if at the least you sometimes check up on the sources of such posts to see if they can be traced to an ESWT provider or company, or if numerous posters under different names can be traced to the same ID or town, and if you would let us know if this happens.

elliott

Re: ESWT success stories

Robin on 5/04/05 at 10:56 (174227)

That's very interesting. I had ESWT (Ossatron) last June and only had a couple weeks of relief and now I'm worse than ever. I'm not even considering having it done again. It cost me $1500 and I can't see paying that again if the relief isn't permanent.

Julie on 5/04/05 at 11:23 (174230)

Elliott, good question, but I think you need to put 'ScottR' (no space) in the subject line if you want him to see it.

Scott R on 5/04/05 at 11:30 (174231)

Both scott r and scottr work now. I only look and think about IP adresses when there is a problem. Problems are defined thusly 'When i get an email or someone types scottr or scott r in a message.' Sometimes you can determine the city they are posting from. Most of the time I can track posters. I look up an IP address about once a month. I have not felt the need to since the last bad poster was banned.

elliott on 5/04/05 at 13:14 (174238)

Scott R, sometimes I get a sinking feeling that maybe the contributors here are composed of a few dozen genuine heel pain posters, a handful of docs/providers saying who they are, and all the rest are fake and trying to promote a modality or product. If this site would lose credibility due to a heavy dose of fake posting, I'd say that's a problem even if not officially defined as one. If they are at least concerned that they'll be outed, such posting would be kept to a minimum.

elliott on 5/04/05 at 13:18 (174239)

Robin, a few more posts like yours and it will just about be time for another round of ESWT success stories. :-)

{}

Scott R on 5/04/05 at 13:33 (174240)

I don't normally read the message board and like I've said many times, I do not normally see improper posts unless someone points them out.

Dr. Z on 5/04/05 at 14:29 (174245)

Elliott,
Interesting observations. Tough to prove. If it smells funny it usually is funny.

elvis on 5/05/05 at 01:15 (174285)

elliott.........and it appears to me that when we get any success stories for ESWT we always seem to get ESWT bashers appear. You wouldn't be posting under another alias would you by chance? No not you! LOL

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/05/05 at 19:21 (174338)

More attention need be paid to thewww.ismst.com website. Take a broader view. Yes, this is a big website but everyone needs to look at the international or biggest picture available.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/05/05 at 19:33 (174340)

Elliott:
Don't you agree that considering your observations, that posters on this board should at least be ASKED to identify who they are and who they represent?
Ed

elliott on 5/05/05 at 20:15 (174342)

Dr. Ed, ismst may be more international, but I gather they are for the most part a collection of very pro-ESWT researchers, so they would not necessarily give a more detached view of ESWT.

elliott on 5/05/05 at 20:23 (174343)

Dr. Ed,

After you ask and after they either don't say or lie, you haven't gotten anywhere. You're more more interested in those with a clear bias towards one type of modality yet profess to be a disinterested party to identify themselves. While I don't believe in asking them over and over (after all, they don't have to say), at least they are easy to spot. Somewhat harder is to separate those pretending to be cured patients but are really just promoting a machine from those who were legitimately cured.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/06/05 at 11:06 (174388)

Elliott:

That is true although the abstracts are not biased. There are failures there including successes. Very prominent among the failures is the failure of ESWT in medial epicondylitis. We have theories as to why ESWt fails in that instance.

Additionally, I would assume that many of those who have written the papers that the abstracts are based upon have a fairly extensive experiential knowledge base in use of the modality.
Ed