Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Torn ligaments

Posted by Necee on 5/04/05 at 11:55 (174234)

My nephew just called me, he's in severe pain with torn ligaments in his foot. He injured his foot a few years ago, he'd had some reoccuring problems, but nothing severe, until Sunday.....he jumped out of his boat, and when he landed, his foot gave way. He couldn't walk, and suffered all that night, he went to his family Dr monday morning. That's when he was diagnosed with the torn ligaments. He said the Dr told him to stay off his feet, and that he needs to put heat on it. He gave him Hydrocodone for the pain.
With all the knowledge on this board, can some of you give suggestions on what will help him? Maybe some of you have suffered from this problem, and can give some advice on what works best.

Thanks,
Necee

Re: Torn ligaments

Dr. Z on 5/04/05 at 21:48 (174272)

The initial advice is very good. Where are the torn ligaments ? In his foot or in is ankle? I like using some type of compression bandage to reduce swelling and control pain.

Necee on 5/05/05 at 00:37 (174281)

Thank you Dr Z for responding. The torn ligaments are in his foot. He's wearing one of those boots, the kind that straps on, and comes up almost to his knee. Should he be icing his foot? And how long will it take for this to heal? I was told that this kind of injury is worse than a break.

Necee

Kathy G on 5/05/05 at 11:14 (174306)

It probably depends on the ligaments that were torn. My husband tore a ligament that went from the side of his leg into his ankle. I don't remember the name of it now and if I wasn't lazy, I'd look it up. At any rate, they put him in a full cast, up to the knee, for six or eight weeks. They said he would require surgery if the casting didn't work. Thankfully, it did and he's had no residual problems. He was in his early thirties when this happened.

My dad had torn ligaments in his ankle and was plagued by multiple ankle problems his whole life. He also broke his ankle once and he said that the break was far less painful than the torn ligaments.

My best to your nephew. I've been reading about people not jumping out of bed and I should probably stop doing it. My husband has always said that I should slow down but I've always just jumped up the minute I awaken. This will serve as a cautionary tale for me!

Necee on 5/06/05 at 10:55 (174382)

I can't imagine jumping out of bed Kathy, I can't move that fast when I first wake up.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Dr. Z on 5/07/05 at 16:11 (174451)

This can turned into a very chronic painful condition. I would really like to have more specific information. The boot cast is good. Heat is good

mj on 9/10/06 at 11:06 (209862)

my husband has acast on his foot for torn ligaments and is now having a lot of swelling inthe knee of the same leg would have anything to do with the other?

Wesley McBee on 2/11/07 at 11:39 (222144)

I had torn ligaments in the back of my heel in 1998. The dr. said that in 99% of surgery the pain comes back so they perform surgery as the last resort. He gave me steroid therapy. I would go in and he would inject steroids in the bottom middle of my foot, it would hurt for a few days after then the pain would start to subside. He explained to me the reason to use steroids was to get it to heal on it's own faster. He said that you are only allowed 3 shots in the same area lifetime. Afer my first shot a few weeks later the pain came back so I took another one. After 4 weeks I could feel the pain faintly. I did not go back for the 3rd shot. The pain went away for good, I have not had any problems since.