Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spurs

Posted by k on 5/05/05 at 06:18 (174294)

my mother 71, had a heel spur that cut the achilles tendon. they successfully reattached 2 weeks ago. i am 2000 miles away and facing the same surgery asap. is this hereditary? so far ive had everything shes had.

Re: heel spurs

k on 5/05/05 at 06:27 (174296)

ive been reading the message boards and i think im ignorant on something. i thought i had to see orthopaedic doctor for my foot problems - bone spurs. now i read a podiatrist handles these. are podiatrists also surgeons?

Re: heel spurs

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/05/05 at 21:30 (174349)

A heel spur cannot cut the achilles tendon. Before you get surgery, you need to find out as much as you can about your condition.

Re: heel spurs

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/05/05 at 21:32 (174350)

When you state you 'had' to see an orthopedic surgeon that seems to imply that some form of coercion was used. Please explain. Most podiatrists do foot surgery.

Re: heel spurs

Julie on 5/06/05 at 01:12 (174358)

Hello k

On this website you can read the heel pain book. It is free: just click on the blue words. It will tell you a lot about heel spurs: a name given to plantar fasciitis, which is an inflammation of the foot's supporting ligament, the plantar fascia. The term 'heel spurs' is misleading: the spurs are almost never the cause of the pain.

It would be helpful for you to inform yourself before seeing a doctor so that you know a little more about your problem and know what questions to ask. A podiatrist is a doctor who has received a lot of training in dealing with foot problems, and is probably the best kind of doctor to start with.