Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

disappointed w/ recommendation

Posted by janS on 5/07/05 at 16:02 (174450)

I have been experiencing foot pain for quite some time now. (@5months)
I visited an ortho surgeon yesterday and had my foot x-rayed. It showed a spur at the tip of the achilles tendon. He said this would dissolve over time and just to ice it and take an anti-inflammatory. I honestly have not talked to a lot of people about this, however I have not heard that the spur just dissolves. Most people I have talked to either went thru some type of surgery or are still having pain. Perhaps I made the wrong decision in 'type' of MD and should see a podiatrist. I can't imagine remaining in this kind of pain. If indeed the spur will dissolve, how long can something like that take? And would you recommend a second opinion? Thanks Jan

Re: disappointed w/ recommendation

Dr. Z on 5/07/05 at 17:40 (174452)

Hi

You are correct Achilles tendon spurring doesn't disolve. See another doctor. Where do you live maybe I can give you a referral

janS on 5/07/05 at 20:14 (174454)

Thanks for the response and the offer of a referral. I live in Columbus, Ohio. Jan S.

Mike C on 5/08/05 at 07:17 (174467)

Unfortunately, these 'spurs' do not dissolve. They are a reaction to stress. As your body appreciates tension at the insertion of the achilles tendon it tries to reinforce the attachment by depositing calcium into the mix. Like most other osteophytes this results in infammation and pain. I first reccomend physical therapy consisting of iontophoresis - application of a corticosteroid preparation with electrical current that delivers the steroid to the deeper tissue. The patient is also instructed to stretch the calf muscles at least 3 times a day. As the inflammation decreases so does the pain. The stretching decreases the tension and alleviates the stress.
The majority of patients with calcific insertional achilles tendinitis improve significantly with such treatment. The osteophyte does not go away but, the pain improves.

Dr. Z on 5/08/05 at 09:08 (174473)

Hi
Go to this web site http://www.acfas.org/index.shtml
There you will find a list of board certified podiatrists. . After looking at Mike C post below. I would use his protocol as my first line of treatment with a heel cup called the MF protector. Good luck.

john king on 5/08/05 at 18:48 (174526)

Dr Z

Do you know any foot doctors in Tampa Florida. I see Martin Port and I like him but 20 years later my feet still hurt.

Dr. Z on 5/08/05 at 20:01 (174538)

Larry Kales DPM

Kathy on 5/10/05 at 20:43 (174673)

I have had the same thing for 10 months now. Try going to a actual Podiatrist. They can tape the foot which really gave me some releif. I actually was running last night & when I woke this A.M. I couldn't even walk on my foot. I received a cortizone injection today and needless to say that should be the last resort because it was very painful!

Try the taping alone with really good supportive shoes...

Good Luck!

JanS on 9/25/05 at 18:59 (183559)

Hi. It is almost five months since I posted re: my achilles tendon spur. I did do the Physical Therapy as recommended and the pain did improve during that. However, as soon as I began exercising again the pain returned. have decided to have the spur surgically removed and the tendon 'cleaned up'(MD terminology). I am wondering what the recovery time is like for this type of surgery. I have been reading on the sight here and notice there is some disappointment w/ recovery. However most of these are re: PF and I don't think I have PF. Any ideas or suggestions how to recover well. Thanks Jan

Dr. Z on 9/25/05 at 19:02 (183560)

Hi
ESWT is also very effective for insertional achilles tendinosis if you want to try to avoid the very long, six month to one year surgical recovery that is typical if the tendon is cut open and debridement of the tendon is performed

Sabrina on 7/03/06 at 22:00 (202927)

Went to a podiotrist Tue, My left spur is worse on the extray than the right but it's the right one that is in so much pain (due to inflmation he said) He sold me insole inserts, told me no more going barefoot or wearing sandals then he injected corizone in the side of my heel. EEK! I screamed bloody murder and I'm NOT affraid of shots or needles. It wasn't the needle it's the medication people. The pain was so unberable, worse than childbirth. It stopped as soon as he stopped and I did feel relief until yesterday Monday when it started huting again, tonight is a bit worse still and he wants to repeat a shot in another week if it's still bad. Not sure I can handle that, the relief was only temporary. He also taped my feet up. He said if another shot doesn't work he may try ultra sound therapy. There is a surgery they can do but who can afford to be off there feet and on crutches that long? My home has 17 strairs. Living in Pain in WI.