Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Got cold feet at night? Try wool socks to prevent new injuries

Posted by Linda B on 5/08/05 at 10:01 (174479)

If you have cold feet at night, try wearing 'Wool Socks'. I had months of pain (sometimes so bad, I could hardly walk). I had very little improvement with standard stretching & other methods I read about. I finally realized that my feet were stiff as a board when I would try to walk in the middle of the night. Even stretching them before I got out of bed was not enough. I was probably causing new injuries trying to walk on such cold feet. I started wearing thick wool socks. Within a week, I was on the road to recovery. A month later, I am 99% there. I know a lot of women have cold feet at night, I hope this helps someone. All I do now is wear my wool socks & stretch after exercising and I feel great.

Re: Got cold feet at night? Try wool socks to prevent new injuries

Julie on 5/08/05 at 10:40 (174484)

Linda, what a great post! I don't think anyone has ever mentioned this before, but of course warmth is important, especially for anyone in whom tight muscles are a factor in their pf. I can recommend a wonderful brand of wool socks: Smartwool. I originally got them for hiking, but now wear them all the time, indoors and out.

Here is a website (one of many) that sells them. There are various kinds and weights - I like the Light Hiking (which incidentally are described on this site as 'Great for Birkenstocks'. I can attest to that.

http://www.justsocks.com/catalog/smartwool.cfm

francesc on 5/08/05 at 13:07 (174493)

Linda,

I thought it was just me. I also have really cold feet and have discovered that icing my feet was actually bad for my PF recovery. I now soak my feet in very warm water at night (as warm as I can tolerate) and it has helped me a lot. I have pretty poor circulation and and get cold fairly easily. But I have noticed that staying active (keeping the blood flowing) and soaking warm water in addition to the stretching has helped me a lot.

Frances

KW on 5/08/05 at 19:02 (174528)

Someone told me to add salt to the warm water and that has been a big help too! I'm surprised and a warm salt soak helps me feet's swelling go down!

Kristie on 5/10/05 at 07:47 (174635)

Why is it that ice isn't a good idea for PF. I have been doing it for the last threee years. It calms me and my feet down. Recently, I keep reading heat is better not ice. Why?

francesc on 5/10/05 at 15:47 (174654)

Ice is good for a new injury to reduce the swelling. I am not a doctor but, as I understand it, a certain amount of blood flow to the injured area is needed for it to heal. Plus, the ice often makes the muscles in the foot tight which is not good for PF. PF is actually a ligament injury as opposed to a pure joint problem. It's not just the swelling that is causing the discomfort.

I think it's more of an individual thing. I have poor circulation. My hands and feet are almost always cold in the winter. I think that the additional circulation offered by the warm foot baths helps with the healing process. Plus, I have also continued to exercise and stretch and I noticed in the beginning that as long as I got the blood flowing that the swelling was reduced in my foot.

It's kind of like when you're pregnant. If you sit around, you tend to get swollen feet and ankles. But, if you move around, then the blood flows and you don't get as much swelling.

Again, I'm NOT a doctor so I can't say why it works for me exactly. It might depend on the type of injury that you have. But, for me, icing was actually detrimental to me at some point.

Hope this helps,
Frances

Linda V on 5/11/05 at 20:36 (174767)

I am not a doctor, but it always made sense to me to keep the feet warm. I didn't get much relief from icing, but warm epsom salt soaks helped, as well as swirling my feet in the hot tub. To me, warm means the blood vessels open more, bringing more blood and therefore oxygen and nutrients to the affected area. I keep my tootsies warm..and usually give my feet a little brisk massage after I do my warm up exercises first thing in the morning. It works for me.

Julie on 5/12/05 at 03:11 (174795)

A year or so there was a lengthy discussion about icing, during which many more people said that ice didn't help them than said it did. Ice does reduce inflammation, which is good in cases of acute injury, but as a long term treatment for PF it might be counter-productive; whereas heat, as Linda says, brings blood to the tissues. I found that ice increased my pain, and stopped after a few tries.

John H on 5/12/05 at 09:04 (174812)

For what ever reason it appears to me women tend to have cold feet more than men. I have read this but have read no scientific evidence. My feet have always been hot. Even as a teen I tended to let my feet hang out from under the covers at night. I could not stand to sleep with socks on. My wife has very cold feet. I always thought cold feet were a symptom of lack of good circulation.

Re: John H..women with cold feet vs men with with cold feet

Linda V on 5/12/05 at 11:45 (174826)

John,
Perhaps it is because women have more blood circulating to their heart? or perhaps brain? lol...

Re: John H..women with cold feet vs men with with cold feet

John H on 5/13/05 at 09:47 (174893)

yeh yeh Linda. Women have warm feet until they get married and then for some strange reason they turn colddddddddddddddddd. Perhaps it is some genetic trigger that kicks in.