Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Haglund's Deformity

Posted by CWS on 5/08/05 at 10:27 (174483)

I believe I have Haglund's Deformity in both, my right and left feet. While the back of my foot ( the part that rests on the bed when you are lying on your back) is constantly in pain, it's really the loud clicking and snapping in that area which concernes me. I'm not really too keen on invasive surgery if I can help it, but was wondering two things. First, what is the clicking/popping noise which happends regularly, particularly in the morning and is it in itself dangerous? Also, would having Haglund's Deformity mean that I am at greater risk of rupturing my achillies tendon and if so would surgery lower that potential risk?

Thanks

Re: Haglund's Deformity

Dr. Z on 5/08/05 at 14:27 (174498)

Are you sure its a haglund's deformity.? Haglund'S has nothing to do with the Achilles tendon insertion. It is a boney enlargement on the upper outside of the heel bone. Pain is usually from a shoe rubbing problem.

Chris S. on 5/08/05 at 22:23 (174544)

No, I'm not sure. The actual pain is in the back of the foot(not the bottom) on the rounded part where the shoes rub. Problem is, the actual rubbing of the shoe dosen't really bother me and while it does seem to protrude a bit there isnt really a callus on the back. I have seen pictures of where Haglund's deformity impacts and it seems that is where it hurts me. It's really the direct back of my foot that hurts.

Thanks

dave p on 9/30/05 at 09:04 (183831)

i've been diagnosed with, first - acute bunion right foot, and second - Haglund's deformity on inside back of heel of same foot. my question is this: while being operated on for the bunion, would it be beneficial to operate/remove the deformity during the same operation. doctor's rational is no since the healing process would be complicated were both surgeries done. anyway, how is your foot? does the bone hurt deep down? mine doesn't hurt on the surface, only deep down. thing is i didn't notice the heel 3 months ago, but began jogging 1-2 times a week and started to hurt pretty badly. gets to where just tapping it with a knuckle lightly hurts it like it's still healing deep inside the bone. any clues? good luck with your situation!!