Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pregnant for the first time with PF

Posted by Kristie on 5/09/05 at 18:09 (174597)

I have had PF for the last three year. I have done everything...yoga, stretching, night braces, orthodoics, ice, heat, ESWT and PF release surgery last May.
This week I found out that I'm pregnant with my first child. My husband is so happy, but I'm so worried about my foot and sciatica pain. I still have pain on the foot that had surgery and my left foot also hurts and will eventually need surgery. Also I have terrible sciatica pain on my right side.

Right now I don't work. Can't really do too much of anything and I'm so afraid that I will not be able to take care of this child they way I should because of my problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I also need a pair a custom made orthics. Do you know of anyone in the New York area that is good. I live in Long Islands but am willing to travel.

Thanks for any advice you can give me

Re: Pregnant for the first time with PF

christyw on 5/09/05 at 19:05 (174606)

Hey!!
I don't know if you remember me or not. I had surgery on both of my feet a month apart. Congratulations on the baby!!! I hope everything goes alright for you. I have not returned to work either. In July I will be off for 1 year because of this. The doctor recommended that I join the YMCA and walk on the treadmill to help my feet. It has helped but I still have some pain.

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 5/10/05 at 21:10 (174675)

Kristie,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! I have three kids and I know how exciting it can be. I'm sorry to hear that your PF is still lingering and that you are developing sciatic symptoms. Many pregnant women develop sciatica due to the fluid retention and the altered mechanics caused by the baby. I know you have tried many techniques for your condition but maybe you may want to look into active release techniques (ART). As an ART practitioner I know first hand it can be very helpful in treating PF. I live in westchester county here in NY but I do know a great ART doctor out on Lond Island; Durlan Castro. Or maybe you can go to the site, http://www.activerelease.com then try to find a doctor that way. It is worth a try and it may give you relief then ultimately piece of mind.

Dr. Rob

Kristie on 5/13/05 at 20:18 (174958)

Hi Chhristw,

Yes, I foundly remember you. I have always thought you were so brave and fearless to have surgery done on both your feet. I'm so sorry to hear that your not doing as well as I had hoped.
As I remeber your about my age or a little younger and we, as well as everyone else suffering from PF, are all way too nice to have this problem. But I gess it could also be worse. It could always be worse.

I hope that working out at the YMCA helps your feet. I found that my feet like to bike ride. Which is great for my mental state as well as to get some excersise. It also so nice to get out of the house.

Hope your Mom is still taking good care of you. Your very lucky to have people who love you.

Thanks for your well wishes. I hope everything goes well and my feet can handle all of this.

Kristie

Letty on 5/14/05 at 11:09 (174998)

Hi Kristie,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! As I write my 18 month toddler is running about in his birthday suit. He is a joy. Pregnancy was not. Still, I got my prize and you will too. To give you a quick history, I used to run alot before my pregnancy and had previous suffered a season long bout with pf years before - I blamed fashionable shoes and lack of stretching before exercise. Eventually it went away with rest and lots of stretching. I got pregnant when the war broke out - that was depressing. Couldn't run due to worry over miscarriage complicated by the fact that I found out I had fibroids that were ballooning with the estrogen. I was showing within two months because of it and constipated because I quit drinking coffee. Hard to make a long story short.... Anyway my pre-preg weight was about 115 and when I went in to have him I weighed a whopping 180!!! I remember feeling like I would be pregnant forever and yes I too had back pain - and in the latter portion of the pregnancy, hip pain (feels like an interior ache unlike anything I'd ever experienced before). I also was retaining ALOT of fluid. This past winter I attempted to start running seriously again (I'd walked/jogged/trotted soon after the 6 week recovery time - that helped alot). I was sidelined by PF. Very discouraging. I rested and stretched but that only helped minimally. My 'magic bullet' was an infrared heating pad and continuous use of the pro-stretcher. I also wear Dansko clogs with a gel pad (was a godsend during my 5 hour layover at the airport). My advice to you is to keep up with your yoga and baby yourself - pregnancy is physically and emotionally demanding. Expect that but don't be overwhelmed by it. I used to feel guilty about saying I hated being pregnant - I thought people might misinterpret it to mean I didn't want the baby. I very much wanted the baby but just didn't feel good. I was 35 at the time of conception though - perhaps you're younger and won't have some of my issues. Still I understand the worry about the two pains you already have especially with the thought of the weight gain. The second trimester was a blessing for me because I started to feel alot less tired so you can look forward to that. This past year I too experienced back pain in the form of a pinched nerve in my shoulder (my quirky sleeping positions didn't help...) and sciatica. I never thought I'd go to a chiropractor but I tried it and it did help somewhat for the shoulder but not much for the sciatica. I feel I'm rambling here so I'll sign off. Please Kristie, keep your eye of the prize as they say. Mothers have an internal strength - it will be tested for sure but you'll be surprised how strong you truly are. The infrared heating pad is a Thermotex platinum - ask your ob first of course - it's NOT like other heating pads in that is a low level heat that penetrates deeper - mine is a newer model and has a vibrating feature. I got it from a Canadian company .... just do a search online for infrared heating pad and make sure you get the massage feature. The bummer is the heating element is a hard box so it's not flexible but luckily it's contained in a cushy pad - once you figure out how to position yourself the heat feels good. For my foot I positioned the pad against the wall and pressed directly onto it. Oh, having a happy papa-to-be is a blessing because he will be a big help for massages and helping with the baby once it's born. I probably exhausted my poor husband with the emotional breakdowns I had - hormones and pain issues are a tough combo. We laugh about it now. Maybe it would've helped to laugh about then too. Good luck momma!!!

christyw on 5/16/05 at 17:27 (175146)

Hey!!
I am 25 getting ready to turn 26. I am still getting long term disability right now. I am very ready to go back to work though. I hate not working. The doctor said that I would have to get a different job though. It has taken awhile for my feet to get well but I have to say I do alot better than before. I have also lost 20 pounds which I think has helped alot. I have the pain if I stand for a long period of time. I can walk around in the store now instead of using the wheelchairs. That's a big plus. As long as I don't stay in there over 30 minutes. I am glad I had the surgery done though. I have a great doctor who has helped me so much and that is hard to find. The first doctor I went to acted like PF was not a big deal and was no reason to be off of work. It's easy to say that when you don't have it!!! Also while I have been off of work I had my tonsils taken out. That was aweful. I couldn't eat anything and I had severe earaches with it. The older you are the worse it is. Well, Good Luck with everything. Keep in touch.

Kristie on 5/19/05 at 08:44 (175314)

So glad to hear your doing so well. Congratualtions on being able to go back to work sometime soon. That's wonderful. Also, congratualtions on lossing 20 pounds. I's sure that has help you out in many ways. Not only looking better, but feeling better and being more confident.

I'm so glad that this summer will be a much better one for you. You deserve it!!!

christyw on 5/23/05 at 17:22 (175563)

Thanks. Yes, losing 20 pounds has helped alot with everything. Keep me posted about the baby. When is your due date?