Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Update on my condition

Posted by Nicole V.R. on 5/09/05 at 18:52 (174604)

If you recall, I had ESWT to my right foot in March. I posted shortly after that I was pain free. Well, I have had a terrible time since then. My foot hurts in other areas, and I even experience a little tingling and numbness at times. Some days my knee, hip and lower back hurt as well. My podiatrist seems to think that orthotics will solve all my problems but we all know how well they work! I'm going for a second opinion this week. Just wanted to vent and set the record straight, since it may have appeared at first that things were all rosey (even to me). But, my left foot continues to do great!

Re: Update on my condition

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/09/05 at 19:12 (174607)

I would be very happy to evaluate your foot at any time. I have seen patients have increased pain due to compensation. How long has it been since your treatment. Less then 16 weeks.?

Ralph on 5/09/05 at 19:32 (174610)

A search under your name told me that you took part in the original group of people that had Ossaton treatments with Scott in Canada. Then you had treatment with a member of Dr. Zuckerman's group with the Dornier.

Since you had treatments with both machines did you notice any difference in pain level following treatments and comparing each treatment could you walk us through any differences that you noticed over your healing period. Thinking back was there anything significant that you can pin point about one that didn't happen with the other?

Ralph on 5/09/05 at 19:34 (174611)

Forgot to ask did you get orthotics following the Ossatron too?

Nicole V.R. on 5/10/05 at 19:15 (174662)

Dr. Z, it's only been about 6 weeks. I'm visiting a second podiatrist this week. Is it a podiatry standard to routinely suggest orthotics for all people with foot pain? It just seems like 'a mechanical problem' is a cookie cutter type answer. I have had orthotics in the past with no sucess for my plantar fascitis, so I don't have high hopes for them helping me now. I am wearing over the counter orthotics.
Ralph, I'll gladly explain the difference to the best of my memory. The Ossatron treatment was extremely painful (not the case for most people). I was unknowingly pregnant at the time and gained an additional 20 pounds over the next several months. (I am obese, you can tell from my picture) I can't recall if my foot felt better right away or if it gradually got better, but the pain was completely gone after the baby was born that October. I used crutches around the house and took it easy until then. I did not use orthotics then. My foot was taped immediately after the procedure and I took prescription ibuprofen. There was no other treatment.
This time, I felt no pain during the procedure. I weighed about the same at the time of each procedure, but I have lost 16 pounds since the date of my right foot treatment (this time I had the baby first, she was also born in October of last year). The treatment is warm soaks, do not bend the foot while walking, exercise by rotating the ankle (which I am not able to do because of the pain), and rubbing of the arch with the thumb.I work in a job where I move around from standing to walking to sitting constantly. Of course, I'm having pain in other parts of my foot. This pain is worse than plantar fascitis, it sometimes wakes me up at night. I've been using Tylenol and ibuprofen, which decreases the pain.

Re: I just searched for myself...

Nicole V.R. on 5/10/05 at 19:41 (174665)

...and discovered that I was very slow to heal the last time, with pain gradually getting better throughout my entire pregnancy. How could I forget that?!?!

Re: I just searched for myself...

Dr. Z on 5/10/05 at 21:43 (174679)

I have found that you need to off load the foot, when there is pain as you describe. I have the feeling you may have a sprained ankle from compensation. An Unna boot dressing could help you . You may even need a walking boot cast. Taping is a big help also.

Ralph on 5/11/05 at 09:31 (174703)

If you purchase the orthotics it will be interesting to see if they actually help. My question for your doctor is if the orthotics are going to work now why didn't he just give them to you prior to you having the second ESWT treatment. Cost wise you might have been farther ahead.

Personally I think the guy is grasping at straws, but I'm not a doctor.
If you make the purchase I hope they work. Maybe you should tell him you'll try his orthotics if he will give you a money back guarantee if you don't get any relief. If he won't provide that guarantee ask him why not.

Re: To Dr. Z. and Ralph

Nicole V.R. on 5/11/05 at 21:03 (174771)

See, Dr. Z, this is why I originally wanted to visit you. Of course, I don't know if you're right, but at least it's something! I'm driving the hour or so to see you if I'm not satisfied with this 2nd doctor.
Ralph, I refused the orthotics prior to ESWT because I had them in the past with no success. I did ask him for a guarantee and he used some analogy like this: if you went the the doctor to treat an infection and he prescribed an antibiotic which is usually 99% effective and it just happens to be that time when it's 1% not effective it's not the doctor's fault is it? I'll update you all Friday after my appointment!

Re: To Dr. Z. and Ralph

Dr. Z on 5/11/05 at 21:20 (174776)

Nicole V R

Time is about the best thing for ESWT healing. Some will achieve relief immediately, some will improve gradually over days, weeks months. Some will have no relief until week eight plus. Some will have good days and bad days.
Patients that have increased pain usually its due too much activity for their specific foot.
Off loading the foot with taping, unna boot, cast boot, sometimes orthosis can really help you.
Take a look at the plantar fascia stretch on this site. It can help alot. Heat can help alot.
Time really helps alot. pf stretch