Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Orthotics and My Feet Ache

Posted by Joan M on 5/10/05 at 15:10 (174651)

Getting used to new custom orthotics. Wearing them an hour more each day until I get to 8 hours. I'm at four hours today and both of my feet ache. Only my right has PF. Is this normal for my feet to ache? My DPM's office says it is and to give it a month of wearing. Upsetting that my good foot hurts now too.

Re: New Orthotics and My Feet Ache

john king on 5/10/05 at 18:08 (174661)

Yes it is normal.

Re: New Orthotics and My Feet Ache

Julie on 5/11/05 at 00:34 (174682)

Joan, I hope you'll get a response from Richard, our resident pedorthist, who is the expert on orthotics (you should post your problem again on the Inserts, Orthotics, Shoes board in case he doesn't look at this one). But I think he would probably advise you to cut back on the amount of time you are wearing the orthotics. You're probably following the instructions you were given, but people (and feet and orthotics) are different. I would start again, with half an hour a day, and stick to that for a few days until your feet have grown accustomed to them and don't ache. Then add another half an hour - not necessarily every day, go by what your feet tell you - increasing gradually over a longer period of time. If you do this for a couple of weeks, and your feet still hurt, go back to your DPM: they probably need to be adjusted.

(Richard, if you're listening, I hope this sounds reasonable to you!)