Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

good news for patients with scar tissue in tarsal tunnel

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/05 at 17:40 (174660)

good news for patients with scar tissue after surgery
Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 5/10/05 at 17:35 View Thread
Hyaluronidase, the enzyme responsible for breaking down scar tissue is now officially back on the market : http://www.amphastar.com/
It is FDA approved.

Now there is no reason for patients to struggle with scar tissue after surgery or after injury.
Ed

If scar tissue pressure on the posterior tibial nerve is the cause of tarsal tunnel syndrome, why would anyone want surgical treatment if we can dissolve the scar tissue with a simple, well placed injection?
Ed

Re: good news for patients with scar tissue in tarsal tunnel

denise g on 5/10/05 at 19:19 (174663)

i had tss surgery in october, and thought i was cured. went for lots of physical therapy for 3 months to break up scar tissue. was totally pain free until last week, have terrible pain, i'm 7 months post op , do you think it could be more scar tissue or a recurrance of tss, god forbid .
thanks for any input
denise

Chad H on 5/10/05 at 19:23 (174664)

I skimmed the information on the website. I assume that this is an off label use for this product?

Should most doctors be aware of this?

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/11/05 at 12:30 (174713)

Chad:
It is not an off label use of the product.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/11/05 at 12:31 (174714)

denise:
If it is scar tissue you now realize how easy it is to get rid of...
Ed

Darlene on 5/11/05 at 19:33 (174761)

Hi Denise.
Have you talked with your surgeon about the new symptoms? I hope it's just a temporary setback.

Re: Dr. Ed Davis

Terry D. on 5/12/05 at 10:44 (174822)

Thanks so much for the time and expertise you bring to this board to help us.
I had my surgery two years ago. Still having pain etc.
My plan this summer is to have an MRneurograpy (enhanced form of MRI which can see periphal nerves) done to see where the scar tissue is if there is any. Then I would want the open MRI guided injection where the scar tissue is. Does this sound reasonable to you. Dr. Aaron Filler in Santa Monica could probably do this.
Thank you so much.
Terry D.

Re: Dr. Ed Davis

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/12/05 at 20:37 (174856)

Terry:
Sounds like a good plan.
Ed