Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Which is the best Dr. to consult with plantar fascitis -

Posted by Jim M and Joan G on 5/11/05 at 09:02 (174700)

A podiatric surgeon

or an orthopedic surgeon specializing in foot surgery?

thanks

Re: Which is the best Dr. to consult with plantar fascitis -

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/11/05 at 12:29 (174712)

It is probably the individual doctor that means more that the type of doctor. That being said, the doctors here are mainly podiatrists and podiatrists are the only type of doctor exclusively trained in the treatment of foot and ankle problems.
Ed

Sharon B. on 5/12/05 at 15:10 (174838)

I would have to agree with your first sentence completely. I KNOW there are fabulous podiatrists here and 'out there;' however, in our area, we went through 3 podiatrists and 2 orthopedic surgeons before going with a wonderful orthopedic surgeon for treatment.

Karen on 5/14/05 at 10:33 (174993)

I have been to 3 orthopedics, the last one 2 hours away because he was the guy to see when all else failed. PT, shots, casting were offered and the last resort guy mentioned I may be a candidate for EWST. No surgical solution offered because I have flat feet(I guess).
Also been to 2 podatrists. They offer orthotics, taping, shots, some do surgery too.

I guess it depends on your problem. The survey here favors podiatrists. At this point, I don't think all PF or Doctors are equal. Ask around, you'd be surprised how may people have foot problems.

Best of luck
Karen